Author Topic: AVAST CRASH  (Read 3718 times)

randym

AVAST CRASH
« on: July 28, 2006, 09:52:08 PM »
Hello,

I am running AVAST Server on all of my server systems. All has been working well however as of late i have been having an issue with a few of my systems rebooting. These systems have a failure with LSASS.EXE then they shutdown and reboot. My first thought was some form of the sasser virus. After scanning these systems with every tool known to man I have found nothing at all. After reviewing logs I have found that right before the system crashes avast crashes. I have pasted the errors below. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Randy

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7034
Date:      7/28/2006
Time:      12:02:42 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   ZEUS
Description:
The avast! Antivirus service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Winlogon
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1015
Date:      7/28/2006
Time:      12:11:33 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   ZEUS
Description:
A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000005.  The machine must now be restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: AVAST CRASH
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:30:02 PM »
Please check the folder <avast>\data\log. Does it contain any files with name unpXXX? (XXX is a random number)

If so (and their length is non-zero), please send them to my email address.

Also, doesn't the Antivirus category of the event log show any corresponding entries?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

randym

Re: AVAST CRASH
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply! 

There are no zero length files in that folder. Also there are no entries in the Antivirus event log.

I do not want to speak to soon but I think I may have resolved this issue! I reinstalled windows 2k3 SP1 and the reboot problem has gone away. The server has been stable for just over 48 hours. I also did the same thing to another system that had the very same problem and it to has not rebooted after reinstalling sp1.

I am not sure what I have learned from this other then I have not a clue what started the problem. THAT IS A SCARY PLACE TO BE!!!!.