Author Topic: Avast Not Opening  (Read 4652 times)

Offline jmpattersonmail

Avast Not Opening
« on: January 25, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Avast is no longer opening.  I believe the problem started after an Avast Update.  Beyond this, I've seen occasional occurrences when several Avast icons appear in my system tray before vanishing altogether.  Nothing I do seems to get Avast to open and I've been unable to determine which file in Avast's system folder is the install.exe so I can run a repair/reinstall on it.

Offline jmpattersonmail

Re: Avast Not Opening
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
I found the option to repair the installation through the Windows file manager and did it...  But Avast is still refusing to open.  The built in windows AV is also refusing to open.

I ran a full online scan by ESET and it claimed to have found and fixed some issues.  I'll try running a Malwarebytes scan as well.

I'm starting to think that I've picked up a virus somewhere.  Possibly one of the few sites that I frequent was compromised.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 06:05:18 PM »
Did you reboot after repair?  https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Repair-Antivirus

I'm starting to think that I've picked up a virus somewhere.  Possibly one of the few sites that I frequent was compromised.  Any help would be appreciated.
See instructions at top in Viruses and worms section

Offline jmpattersonmail

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
I did.  I attempted to run another online scan in safe mode but couldn't connect to the internet through wifi.  I restarted with the intent of posting in another help form that I've had luck with before and noticed Avast is actually working this time.  I'll be running a boot time scan, providing avast opens again with the restart.

Offline hwhansel

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
I have the same problem.  How do I run a malware scan?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »
@hwhansel,
I assume you mean you can't open Avast.
As a start, have you tried a repair of Avast then reboot?
See Pondus reply and the link to avast repair article above.