Author Topic: Updating Firefox to version 65  (Read 15220 times)

Offline Rowan Boatman

Re: Updating Firefox to version 65
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
There is seemingly a much easier fix for this problem than clean reinstalling Avast, as per Firefox reddit...
Your certificate file might be corrupted - just throw it in the bin and FF will rebuild it. You can find it in your Profile folder: *\Data\profile\cert8.db

To easily find your profile folder: open the menu at the top right corner,

click on the question-mark at the bottom,

click on "Troubleshooting Information",

at the first table you see click on the button that says "Show Folder".

As also commented by another user the cert8.db might be a different number, as mine was cert9.db.
It was as simple as sending it to the bin and reloading Firefox, hope this helps guys :)

*edit*

Forgot the link..

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/albqm4/firefox_updated_to_version_65_and_now_all_i_get/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:08:49 PM by Rowan Boatman »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 10:32:44 PM »
There is seemingly a much easier fix for this problem than clean reinstalling Avast, as per Firefox reddit...
Your certificate file might be corrupted - just throw it in the bin and FF will rebuild it. You can find it in your Profile folder: *\Data\profile\cert8.db

To easily find your profile folder: open the menu at the top right corner,

click on the question-mark at the bottom,

click on "Troubleshooting Information",

at the first table you see click on the button that says "Show Folder".

As also commented by another user the cert8.db might be a different number, as mine was cert9.db.
It was as simple as sending it to the bin and reloading Firefox, hope this helps guys :)

*edit*

Forgot the link..

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/albqm4/firefox_updated_to_version_65_and_now_all_i_get/
This worked for me. I had both cert8.db and cert9.db
Thanks.

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
Deleting the certs didn't work for me, nor did reinstalling Firefox or Avast; it only works by disabling HTTPS scanning which clearly isn't ideal.

Offline Nidderauer

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 10:41:21 PM »
The workaroung switching security.enterprise_roots.enabled from false to true has 1 big disadvantage:
If you are using a master-password it will ask you then everytime you start Firefox to enter it.
Not only when a password is needed or saved/updated. Always! That's really annoying.

Offline suk

• Avast team
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »
Could you
1. go to about:preferences#privacy (either by typing/clicking in the link it or through menu Options and
2. click on Privacy & Security
3. scroll down to Certificates
4. click on View Certificates.
5. Select Avast Web/Mail Shield Root - Software Security Device
6. click Edit Trust.

The checkbox This certificate can identify websites should be checked. If not, please do so.

Does it help?

(we are working on a fix, but it would help us to confirm that this workaround worked for the case when Firefox shows 'Your connection is not secure')
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:37:28 AM by suk »

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
Could you
1. go to about:preferences#privacy (either by typing/clicking in the link it or through menu Options and
2. click on Privacy & Security
3. scroll down to Certificates
4. click on View Certificates.
5. Select Avast Web/Mail Shield Root - Software Security Device
6. click Edit Trust.

The checkbox This certificate can identify websites should be checked. If not, please do so.

Does it help?

(we are working on a fix, but it would help us to confirm that this workaround worked for the case when Firefox shows 'Your connection is not secure')
Sadly mine was already checked so there was nothing to do there.

Also, my partner has Bitdefender 2019 and the same error is happening with Firefox on that computer too (only working when you deactivate the HTTPS equivalent or change the Firefox setting).  It looks like Mozilla really jumped the gun with this update.

I reverted my original workaround because I don't think it's safe to have no HTTP scanning, and changed the Firefox setting instead, although I echo the other user that it asking for the Master Password each run is annoying.  I just wish I could use the quick-fixes that seem to work for many others!  But no dice, for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:35:07 PM by bobby1981 »

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 04:28:11 PM »
This article will interest all posters in this topic, I think https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/01/mozilla-halts-firefox-65-distribution-on-windows/

Offline suk

• Avast team
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
We have released the hotfix in Virus Definition Update 190201-6. It is applied automatically, no need to reboot the computer.

Please let us know if it helped.

Thanks. Pavel

Offline kanon86

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
We have released the hotfix in Virus Definition Update 190201-6. It is applied automatically, no need to reboot the computer.

Please let us know if it helped.

Thanks. Pavel

Https scanning doesn't work anymore, not sure if that's intentional. Everything was actually working fine for me before that fix was released.

Offline jose.gimenez.47

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
Firefox 65, reverted  security enterprise roots enabled to false (default) and is working fine.
Thanks.