Author Topic: Avast and Boot Up Windows 7.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline robertpaterson3

Avast and Boot Up Windows 7.
« on: February 01, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »
I'm using Avast Free Anti Virus 19.1 at the moment. Seems OK for me.
Trouble is I don't want Avast to control my PC- I want to do that.
So to start I don't want Avast to start on boot up. I switched it off in System Configuration
and used the Shields Control but I've noticed that after some time Avast re appears in System Configuration.
I didn't put it there but it appears. I switched Avast off in CCleaner (startup) as well. But after a time Avast
gets itself back into System Configuration.

This means that Avast has some kind of timer working in it to make it start on my PC boot up. I don't want this.
I want to be in total control when Avast starts and closes.
The timer control I'm talking about will be an entry in the Registry of my Windows 7.
Can anyone tell me where to find this registry entry so that I can switch it off?
Usually you have to change a 1 to a 0.

There is an alternative explanation which is that when you connect to the Internet Avast
sends a signal to it's program to start on boot up regardless of what the user wants.
Any ideas on that one?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast and Boot Up Windows 7.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:24:48 AM »
Why would you want to prevent Avast from starting..?? ???
Anyway, if you want a pure od-scanner, use passive mode.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Michal256

Re: Avast and Boot Up Windows 7.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
Hi,

I think it's most likely the Avast Self-Defense module which restores Avast shields over time. Typically malicious software would make attempts to disable Avast shields, so they could run while the system is unprotected. Avast tries to counter that.

If you would like to use Avast only for scanning specific files on demand, then perhaps you should opt-in to use passive mode. This way you will give up all of the active protection that Avast provides though, so it would be recommended to have another AV Software running as primary (e.g. Windows Defender, or the Microsoft protection software available for Win7).

You can enable passive mode in Avast Settings -> General -> Toubleshooting.