Author Topic: Avast freezes my system  (Read 10197 times)

Marje

Avast freezes my system
« on: April 10, 2003, 06:42:08 PM »
Hi,

I am unable to run Avast without it freezing my system.  Here is the scenario.  It runs fine in the background, but when I try to open the program here's what happens:

I right click on the tray icon and choose "Start avast! Antivirus"

The memory test runs fine, then a window pops up and the system freezes.  The top of the window says "avast! simple user interface".  No text appears in the white background.  It seems that the program interface is only partially loaded behind this window, as I can kind of see the desktop through it.  At this point, I must do a hard reboot to get the system running again.

The only log that appears is an information log under Antivirus that says "ASWSIMPLE program run information: CaswSimplePos::LoadWindowMove [] failed."

My system has also frozen while the Avast screensaver is running the VRDB Generator, but that doesn't happen every time as the above does.

I did try uninstalling Avast, downloading a fresh copy, and reinstalling, but the same problems occurred.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional SP3 with plenty of RAM.  The only thing different about my system is that I had to load Windows as a "Standard Computer" configuration so that I could manually configure my IRQ settings (long story, but it worked).

Any ideas?  Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!
Marje

pmq

Re:Avast freezes my system
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 09:45:11 AM »
There isn't problem with:
"ASWSIMPLE program run information: CaswSimplePos::LoadWindowMove [] failed."

Can you describe more detailed your window with text "avast! simple user Interface"? Is it standard rectangular window or oval window?

Can you try to run ashSimpl.exe directly without ashAvast.exe which show splash and test memory? What happens when you try to run ashSimpl.exe? (this program is probably here: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\avast4)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 10:11:41 AM by Vlk »

drahnier

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 02:44:49 PM »
as you're running win2k pro: have you checked the permissions on your avast install directories?

i had a similar effect on a too tightly locked down xp pro system when trying to run avast!4 from a restricted user account.

Marje

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 01:44:21 AM »
<<Can you describe more detailed your window with text "avast! simple user Interface"? Is it standard rectangular window or oval window?>>

The standard rectangular window (avast! simple user interface) is in front, the oval window is the one that doesn't quite load behind it.

<<Can you try to run ashSimpl.exe directly without ashAvast.exe which show splash and test memory? What happens when you try to run ashSimpl.exe? (this program is probably here: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\avast4)>>

I can run both ashSimpl.exe and ashAvast directly from the Program Files folder.  Thanks for suggesting this - I now have a scan running on my system.  I guess I'll just have to run the program directly from the Program Files folder in the future, and not mess with the icon in the toolbar.

Marje

Marje

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 01:45:46 AM »
<<as you're running win2k pro: have you checked the permissions on your avast install directories?>>

I've only got the Administrator account on this computer, and I'm not connected to a network, so there shouldn't be a permission issue.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Marje