Author Topic: Avast Internet Security wont open at all  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Redstar

Avast Internet Security wont open at all
« on: February 03, 2019, 04:37:35 AM »
It was working perfectly fine last night. I have no idea what could be causing this, I haven't downloaded anything or visited any strange websites. But today I noticed that there were multiple icons in the taskbar for Internet Security and when I moved the mouse over them, they all disappeared, not even leaving behind a real one. I tried opening it manually from the desktop but it wont, all that happens is the icon appears in the task bar, I wait but nothing else happens and when I double click or right click on it, still nothing happens and if I keep trying it eventually vanishes.

It might not be connected but I noticed last night that the behavior shield and ransomware thing (sorry, I forget what it's actually called) were off for some reason... and I couldn't turn them back on. But I got distracted by other things and then forgot about it until today when I noticed this was happening.
I believe Avast is up to date (not that I can check now) and since sometimes a restart can solve problems, I tried that after the issue last night and todays one but obviously that didn't help.

Well, I think that covers everything that's happened. So although I'm not useless when it comes to computers, I have no idea what to do in this situation. Any help would be appreciated :)

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Internet Security wont open at all
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 05:33:21 AM »
Do Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
OR
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Redstar

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »
That worked! Thank you :D
For some reason I always forget about the repair option through control panel

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:12:07 PM »
Happy to help you. :)
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast