Author Topic: Free Anti Virus for Mac and Antivirus Pro for Windows Threat listing  (Read 2037 times)

Offline jeremy.67

Hello,
I was just wondering if there's any documentation available on Avast on the complete list of threats or known viruses that are protected by them on the free Antivirus for Mac as well for the Anti Virus Pro?
I need a technical document that lists out all of the detections that Avast has.

Thank you in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free Anti Virus for Mac and Antivirus Pro for Windows Threat listing
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:27:33 PM »
I rather doubt that you would get this from Avast or other AV companies. There are millions of signatures in the database, 5,374,921 currently.  Such a document could well be useful to others, not to mention each different antivirus company could and do have different signature/malware names.  So it would be almost impossible to draw a direct comparison.

This doesn't mean that there are only 5,374,921 detections as the signatures are highly optimised to reduce the size of the database to help with performance. 

These detections are capable of detecting many different variants for a single signature.  Not to mention behavioural detections, which might not have a specific signature in the database.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »
Yes you're right David, a daunting task to be sure. ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
known viruses that are protected by them on the free Antivirus for Mac as well for the Anti Virus Pro?
There is no difference, free and pro have same Engine/signatures

The amount of Mac malware compared to windows is low and all AV vendors detect them all

Lots of info online if you search

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-viruses-list-3668354/

https://macpaw.com/how-to/known-mac-viruses-malware-security-flaws

Offline jeremy.67

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »
Thank you guys for the quick replies.
I appreciate all of the input.

But I just feel like there should at least be general statements on the website that says that Avast protects against :ransomeware, Spyware, Trojans, Worms, etc. and I can't find a page that shows that on the website.

Also, do you guys know of any resources that point out the major threats on Windows Systems or like an example threat detection list (doesn't have to be Avast).

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:47:28 PM by jeremy.67 »