Author Topic: too many virus programs running  (Read 3777 times)

agapanthus

too many virus programs running
« on: July 29, 2006, 08:34:46 PM »
 ???
Avast and aol have coexisted just fine until aol installed a "new updated security" program.  Now I'm getting a message from aol that "multiple virus programs installed on computer may negativelly affect my computer's performance.  Uninstall avast antivirus and avast firewall."
Should I do it?
Any help appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: too many virus programs running
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:07:16 PM »
Nice of AOHell to suggest you uninstall avast and not the other way round. Not only that it has incorrectly stated avast is also a firewall ???

My personal suggestion would be to get rid of AOHell completely and not just its security package, almost everything about AOHell is propriatory and they like to keep you in a locked in position. However, that is a big step, but there are other ISPs that give as good a deal as AOHell.

I don't know if AOHell will allow you to uninstall their security package.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »
Hi Agapanthus,

Two resident antivirus programs is one too many. Non-resident scanning programs work fine alongside each other, lest their signature files don't "fight"each other (e.g. avast and panda-online are no good team, but that is panda's fault).
Most on-demand scanners can be a good companion for a resident AV solution like Avast. I had good experiences with Bitdefender, SSM )intrusion detection), a-squared anti-malware, ClamWin anti-virus scanner, DrWebCureIt, stinger-exe, F-Prot for Dos with the automatic uploader, DrWeb hyperlink scanner plug-in all worked brilliantly alongside Avast.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 10:22:11 PM »
This is a Topic you should read 'How to Cancel, Uninstall or Complain About AOL' http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22339.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 05:31:47 AM »
David is right, Getting rid of all the AOL crap CAN be a mess. I've had three computers in the last two weeks that people wanted it taken off of and it's a good bit of work.

Hey polonus, The food looks good, You buying ??   ;D

You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

tls

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
If you are stuck with AOL, as I am, complete removal of all parts of AOL (as well as any McAfee items present) followed by careful re-installation of AOL from disk may help.  I uninstalled everything, including "AOL Uninstaller," using Add/Remove Programs, then used CCleaner to remove any remaining junk before re-installing without any security features.  If they aren't there, they don't try to update, and other (better ;D) programs are available.

I had to find a newer AOL disk than the one I originally used, because my original disk installed AOL anti-spyware whether I wanted it or not, and updates are not compatible with my OS.

Better yet, another ISP would be great!

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:46:46 PM »
 :P :'( >:( >:(
Thank you all for all of your help and suggestions, you've confirmed what I was thinking.  However, having delt with alohell before, and being the computer dummy that I am, I have trouble with technical terminology and how to fix things. The best I can do is pay to have my 'puter re-worked by my local guru who charges money to fix things....imagine that!
So far it doesn't seem to be creating any problems, so I'll stick with avast and ignor aol.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 11:34:15 PM »
So far it doesn't seem to be creating any problems, so I'll stick with avast and ignor aol.
A wise decision, not just keeping avast, but can you imagine trying to get help from AOhell ;D there is plenty of help available on these forums.

A belated welcome to the forums.