Author Topic: Avast protection "broken" by 12 year old thief  (Read 3738 times)

Avast protection "broken" by 12 year old thief
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:49:03 AM »
Three days ago (2-13-2019) my mobile phone got stolen by one of my 12-13 year old students from inside my bag while I was moving arround the class to help students complete their exercise. Next day, after the school principal talked to the children, two of them appeared with my phone in their hands claiming to have found it in the school yard. The phone's case was missing, as the sim and sd cards too! My phone was and still is locked with a pattern I do not know (I had no screen protection), silenced and in flight mode, althow I had it protected with avast security pro.
How did the thief manage to enter my settings (protected by avast) and set a screen lock pattern? How did the thief managed to bypass avast protection of my google applications and change my profile name and last name? What was my mistake?

Re: Avast protection "broken" by 12 year old thief
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:45:15 AM »
Let me put it another way; If my SIM card and my SD card were inserted in another mobile appliance would the thief be able to take all these actions?
Then the thief would have only to violate the sim's pin. How easy this would be?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:33:33 AM by Ευανθία Καζαντζίδου »

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 01:16:37 PM »
Let me put it another way; If my SIM card and my SD card were inserted in another mobile appliance would the thief be able to take all these actions?
Then the thief would have only to violate the sim's pin. How easy this would be?

No need for an answer anymore.
I just found the answer to all my questions.
I experimented using another mobile phone and found a deep hole in Avast application's protection. During the first minute a phone is powered on the protection does not function. Someone can open Avast's configuerations and do as he/she pleases!!!

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »
Hi, to be able to reproduce the problem and find out more, we are missing some details - could you specify these?
- your device type and Android version
- was there any other PIN set on your device? (system screen locking)
- was your Anti-Theft activated, or were you using only the App Locking?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi, to be able to reproduce the problem and find out more, we are missing some details - could you specify these?
- your device type and Android version
- was there any other PIN set on your device? (system screen locking)
- was your Anti-Theft activated, or were you using only the App Locking?

Finaly I get a reply.
But I already found what happened; App Locking is not locking!!!
Antitheft asks for too many rights and, for this reason, I didn't activate it.
huge mistake, I know now, I did not have system screen locking.
My device is a Samsung J7, Android version 8.1.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:45:11 PM by Ευανθία Καζαντζίδου »

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »
Now I can tell you exactly what happend and which is the largest hole in avast protection.
If a mobile phone is put in someone else's hands, then Avast and any other "protected" application can be UNINSTALLED (!!!) by a single drag and drop into the rubbish bin...
To be more precise, you press the application's icon for a few seconds and a menu appears enabling to uninstall some applications, avast being among them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:52:38 PM by Ευανθία Καζαντζίδου »

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:12:37 PM »
Even if you lock your Settings and Google Play Store?

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 08:32:09 PM »
Even if you lock your Settings and Google Play Store?

I definetly had settings locked. And this is the reason I got so upset. Never imagined that it would be so easy, without entering my settings, to uninstall avast.
The thief himself explained to me how easy it was. The boy was sure that my phone was completely unprotected!

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
Locking Settings is not enough, indeed - you can also install as well as uninstall apps from the Google Play Store.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 06:40:02 PM »
Locking Settings is not enough, indeed - you can also install as well as uninstall apps from the Google Play Store.

No Google Play Store was needed.
I repeat;
You press the application's icon for a few seconds and a menu appears enabling to uninstall some applications, avast being among them. :o
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:41:54 PM by Ευανθία Καζαντζίδου »

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 09:41:06 AM »
Thanks for your reply, the case has been forwarded to our QA dpt. They will try to reproduce the problem on the same type of device. Can you specify what Avast Mobile Security version this concerns? Thanks.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply, the case has been forwarded to our QA dpt. They will try to reproduce the problem on the same type of device. Can you specify what Avast Mobile Security version this concerns? Thanks.

I don't remember the version. I assume it was up to date at that time (02-13-2019). I use to check for updates often.