Author Topic: Can avast Block System Restore from Working? [RESOLVED]  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Can avast Block System Restore from Working? [RESOLVED]
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
Last week I was having computer problems.  It appears like I did finally manage to fix them.  But, for future reference and curiosity-settling, I have a question.

When the problems were present, they appeared to be getting worse.  I then resorted to System Restore.  The 1st System Restore took, but didn't fix the problem.  I then attempted more / earlier System Restore Points, but those did NOT take.  I kept being informed that they were incomplete / unsuccessful or whatever.

On a hunch based on the symptoms, I performed an avast reinstall.  The problem got worse.  Now I had BSOD.  I performed another avast reinstall followed by 3 reboots.  Plus, I also reformatted my Flash Drive and reinstalled everything on it.  (I always have it plugged in ... and based on the symptoms, I suspected that maybe my PortableApps.com platform might have gotten corrupted.)

My computer problems were now FIXED.
So ... QUESTION:  Can a broken avast somehow block System Restore Points from taking?  I've experienced this situation on previous occasions whereby suddenly none of the System Restore Points will take.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:22:58 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can avast Block System Restore from Working?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:52:19 PM »
System Restore on XP was never a great success and didn't cover everything.  There were times when it broke avast and other times when it could well have been blocked by the avast self-defence module if it impacted avast locations.

Personally I would suggest drive imaging software, I have never enabled the XP system restore on any of my XP systems.  Drive imaging software is a much more reliable (flexible and complete) restoration option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Can avast Block System Restore from Working?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:22:21 PM »
My memory might be foggy, but I vaguely seem to recall that a couple of years back I did once and for all decide to install Macrium Reflect Free.  Because of my Dial Up, I of course tried to download the setup file on my sister's computer.  As I think I vaguely recall, instead of the setup file being downloaded ... Macrium Reflect tried to install itself on my sister's computer.

I never found a way to have it not install on my sister's computer instead of downloading the setup file.  So, that's why I wound up aborting that plan of installing Macrium Reflect Free.  I don't know if it's changed since then.  Or maybe it had to do with from what source I was trying to download the setup file.  Not that I remotely remember what that source was.

Oh well.  At least you confirm that it's POSSIBLE that avast CAN at times block System Restores.

Thanks, David.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can avast Block System Restore from Working? [RESOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »
A few years back, one of the recommended steps was to disable Avast Self-Protection before running a System Restore session, but as DavidR says, running an imaging program and restoring a known good and clean copy is much faster and the step to disable avast self-protection is not needed when restoring from an image.  Disabling Self-Protection was key, and re-enabling it afterwards was a must (Reboot).

In order to prevent Macrium Reflect from installing on the system you are downloading on, you'd need to get the full off-line installation file or else get a version suitable for installation on another computer (it will say this file is for another computer) and transfer that file to your system.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
I used System Restore on an old WinXP laptop many times over a period of 6 years from 2010 without a single problem being caused by or to the AVAST versions I used at that time.

System Restore points have not been needed that often on my PCs since then. I've used them maybe half a dozen times in the last three years and never for any critical reason. Usually it was just to revert back after a program update I did not want or did not like. But when I've needed them, again, I've not had any AVAST problems.

Putting in a restore point before updating or removing programs is standard practice for me and weekly maintenance routine too. It is what the most important software does itself ie. Windows updates. It is a system's first level safety net you should not spurn.

With a SSD I can test, reboot and test another restore point or revert it back to how it was in under a minute each time. The idea that system imaging software is a replacement for that convenience and speed is just fanciful.

Remember too that for it to actually be useful and restore a system back to how it was just pre-problem you have to keep it up to date. That means continuously using system resources and time to enable the various methods by which that can be done.

For me restore points are that first line of defence against system problems which 9 times out of 10 will resolve it. System imaging software is the next level safety net and I completely agree it should be used, no argument about that.       
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:15:52 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »