Author Topic: avastsvc.exe uses all my memory ram  (Read 6154 times)

Offline CelineStilinski

avastsvc.exe uses all my memory ram
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Hey everyone, I feel kind of weird asking for help, especially on what might be such a small matter... But anyway.

Since yesterday afternoon, quite randomly avastsvc.exe started eating up all my 4Go of memory ram (it reached 3 700Mo at some point). It keeps coming up and down, mostly really high up... And when it does, well, I'm faced with the screen freeze of the century. Before that it was doing just fine.

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling. I tried reparing. I can't even do anything near a smart scan to check if it might be the fault of a virus or anything, since it freezes.

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

(I'm on Windows 10, 64bit, I use the free version of Avast, and it's up to date.)

(Note that my laptop works just fine, if not better than ever when Avast is uninstalled.)

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: avastsvc.exe uses all my memory ram
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:20:56 AM »
When the CPU load is high, dump the Avast process consuming the CPU. (Windows Task manager > Details tab > right click on the process(avastsvc.exe) > Create dump file)
Upload the dump to Avast FTP (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/FTP-file-upload).
Create a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Submit-support-file) and post the ID here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:27:56 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
Upload the dump to Avast FTP (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/FTP-file-upload).
Pick a unique name (and post it here), so the devs can find it. Thanks
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline CelineStilinski

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
I need my laptop for classes, so I'm going to uninstall Avast again for the next three days and hope I don't have internet withdrawal. But thank you so much, I'll do what you suggested this week-end.

Offline devilmanozzy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:07:37 PM »
I have a Windows 7  64-bit system, free version of Avast was up to date yesterday.

Same exact thing I think. I did see what it was doing in Task Manager and avastsvc.exe was jumping both in CPU and Memory with memory bottlenecking at 99%. Cpu was at 50% or so cause I was using google chrome when it hit. Had this issue the last 3 days. MsMpEng.exe (Antimalware service Executable) is the fourth highest physical memory usage, above avasts as it is sitting idle.

Once the event starts, it's pretty hard to do anything. I wrote down what Secure suggested doing. If I'm able to get it to create dump file, I'll see if I can share it here.

One more note, it seems to happen for me pretty quickly after starting up my computer if it happens. Usually after being on desktop screen a minute. Internet I think was on everytime it happened. I tried to disconnected but after that avast remains rogue and all that can be done is go to shutdown and wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to fight its way to being shutdown.

Offline ante.mihelcic

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
I have a Windows 7  64-bit system, free version of Avast was up to date yesterday.

Same exact thing I think. I did see what it was doing in Task Manager and avastsvc.exe was jumping both in CPU and Memory with memory bottlenecking at 99%. Cpu was at 50% or so cause I was using google chrome when it hit. Had this issue the last 3 days. MsMpEng.exe (Antimalware service Executable) is the fourth highest physical memory usage, above avasts as it is sitting idle.

Once the event starts, it's pretty hard to do anything. I wrote down what Secure suggested doing. If I'm able to get it to create dump file, I'll see if I can share it here.

One more note, it seems to happen for me pretty quickly after starting up my computer if it happens. Usually after being on desktop screen a minute. Internet I think was on everytime it happened. I tried to disconnected but after that avast remains rogue and all that can be done is go to shutdown and wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to fight its way to being shutdown.

Yeah, I'm experiencing the same thing as well. I actually waited an hour for the memory usage to drop and for things to turn back to normal. That's when the dump file was created so I sent it to Avast and I was told the fix will be released soon. Fingers croseed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline augustosebin

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
Weird. I've heard that Windows is having 100 disk problems.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 11:50:37 AM »
several concerned members say they had this RAM overload on avastsvc.exe just after the  February windows update.
A link?

Offline CelineStilinski

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »
My father looked around and apparently fixed it. I wish I knew how so I could help others in my case too. But it apparently involved a lot of uninstalling and installing

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
My father looked around and apparently fixed it. I wish I knew how so I could help others in my case too. But it apparently involved a lot of uninstalling and installing
Well, thanks for your feedback anyway.