Author Topic: Password prompt  (Read 4716 times)

DFlannery

Password prompt
« on: January 12, 2004, 03:06:52 AM »
I have installed and used avast! 4 Home today for the first time with good success, finding 13 viruses that were missed by Trend, and blocking one virus-infected inbound e-mail.  However, this evening when I try to select the "On-Access Protection Control" or try to exit, I am prompted for a password.  I do not remember entering a password at all today.  How can I regain control of avast?

Culpeper

Re:Password prompt
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 04:38:17 AM »
Try right clicking on the Avast blue ball and select set/change password.  Leave it blank.  Keeps us posted because this has come up before only the other person never let us know if it was resolved or not.  It's possible that you may need to do an uninstall and install.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 04:43:11 AM by Culpeper »

DFlannery

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 10:39:44 AM »
I tried leaving the old and new password fields blank, and also just entering a new password.  Neither attempt worked - I get an error dialog that says "You didn't enter correct password".

If no one has any more suggestions, I'll try the un/re-install, but I worry about hitting the same problem again, as I don't know how it happened this time.

Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 10:45:09 AM »
What operating system are you using?

It's quite likely that mere reboot would help to remedy this situation...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

DFlannery

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 11:09:32 AM »
I am running Windows XP Professional SP 1.  Let me know if you need additional environmental information.

After a reboot, I do not get the password prompt.  The control panel dialog comes up without prompting as it did after I first installed.  Similarly, I am able to use the menu of the tray icon to stop on-access scanning (first time I've tried this).

So, I have a "reboot workaround".  I am curious if finding the viruses (that Trend didn't find - again, good job)  caused the on-access scanner to require a password.

Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 11:16:35 AM »
I am curious if finding the viruses (that Trend didn't find - again, good job)  caused the on-access scanner to require a password.

No, not really. ;) Rather a bug in avast (very very very rarely occuring though).

So, I have a "reboot workaround".

An easier (and much faster) one would be to just restart the "avast! antivirus" service (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.