Author Topic: Bizarre error with avast virus definition update  (Read 2842 times)

Offline giulio_toffoletti

Bizarre error with avast virus definition update
« on: February 17, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »
Good morning  :) I have a bizarre problem with my avast antivirus free edition 9 on widows xp ( cpu palomino computer ).
I use this pc every day. I go on the web in secure site. Every day at 11:30 a.m. I see that avast uses most of the power of the pc for the update of the virus definition. On the task manager appears correctly the instupdate.exe process. I don't see any error message during this operation.
Suddenly a popup of the security center of Windows tells me that the antivirus is not updated. I check on avast and I see this strange situation. I have the current virus definition installed but this definition was released few days ago. What can I do ? is my pc safe? 
Thak you ^_^

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Bizarre error with avast virus definition update
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
Hi, there are only few helpers for XP left - probably none with V9 of Avast.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Duch

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
Hi giulio in the center of security you can turn off security messages spyware protection and antivirus protection. These messages are informative only its essential that avast has an up to date virus definitions and then youre protected

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »
Ty  :) You can see my problem in the posted photo. I don't know if the message of Avast is consitent and correct. The date of the released update is every day the same and is the 6th febrary. I don't know if the pc is really protected with the last definition or is a bug...

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »
Hi giulio in the center of security you can turn off security messages spyware protection and antivirus protection. These messages are informative only its essential that avast has an up to date virus definitions and then youre protected

Thanks for the answer, I hope :) Maybe ... ;)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
Any reason you are still using Avast 9?
I for one have kept Avast updated and using 18.8.2356 on my XP SP3 machine. That is the last Avast Program update for XP/Vista but virus definition updates are still ongoing for that version.
I am aware of other XP users having issues with 18.8.2356 and have rolled back to earlier program version, but not as far back as Avast 9.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
Any reason you are still using Avast 9?
I for one have kept Avast updated and using 18.8.2356 on my XP SP3 machine. That is the last Avast Program update for XP/Vista but virus definition updates are still ongoing for that version.
I am aware of other XP users having issues with 18.8.2356 and have rolled back to earlier program version, but not as far back as Avast 9.

Hi :) One reason is the processor. The athlon xp palomino don't support the sse2 istruction. and the pc was never formatted. I can upgrade to the version 10. But ? have fear of problems. at this time my xp 1800+ with 1 gb ram and 80 gb hdd make what i need. Making changes may take trouble. For my experience... And the version 9 is easy for the sistem. The newest version require to power.  :-\

Offline broadscopesunlimited

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 06:20:21 AM »
Same issue here on my LG Stylus 3. Definitions are up to date, yet issue is still unresolved. Steps to resolve anyone?