Author Topic: Trouble downloading special definitions for boot time scan  (Read 2814 times)

REDACTED

Trouble downloading special definitions for boot time scan
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
I see others also have this issue. Special definitions download grinds away for ever and ever and never seems to finish. Avast was just updated so that wasn't the issue on this occasion.

I think it actually does but on some systems does not report that the download is complete and the boot time scan is ready to commence upon reboot. In other words, it's a reporting error, not a download problem.

I stumbled upon this as I got impatient with the process which I knew from previous experience on other systems should have already completed in the same amount of time on the same network with the same data transfer rates. So I closed the Avast GUI and reopened it. I was intending to restart the special definition download process but when I clicked on the button it said the task was complete and I needed to restart the system to begin the scan.

Offline IsaDesOsiers

Re: Trouble downloading special definitions for boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
HST51:  Thank you for this post. I had the same exact problem on 17 Jan 2018. Download never stopped looking as though it was still downloading. I started downloading the "special definitions" last night, set my laptop to never go to sleep, went to bed. In the morning it was still showing the slidey green line icon for the download in progress!!!! Selected the boot time scan a 2nd time, waited about 3 minutes then closed Avast window, and reopened it. It was ready for the reboot time scan. Thanks to your post, really really helpful.

Offline Keith195

Re: Trouble downloading special definitions for boot time scan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:04:32 AM »
I get this too.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0