Author Topic: SecureLine VPN icon has disappeared  (Read 9462 times)

Offline sally.burt

SecureLine VPN icon has disappeared
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
My SecureLine VPN icon in the system tray has disappeared and so I can no longer turn on the VPN. I cannot find it anywhere on my laptop yet the licence is still valid. How do I get it back so that I can use it again?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: SecureLine VPN icon has disappeared
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »
Hi, you need to install the standalone version of SecureLine.
https://files.avast.com/tools/secureline/avast_secureline_setup.exe
From the changelog: SecureLine VPN component won't be part of AV. User will be offered to install standalone VPN client independent from AV (staged release not for all users now)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:43:02 AM »
In the past I had issues with the VPN disconnecting and reconnecting more than I thought it should.

CS provided this reply.

"Sometimes, this might happen due to the browser or website issues. In this regard, we request you to try accessing those websites in alternate browser. However, you can also disable the port scan detection in Avast by following the below steps:
Open Avast - Protection - Firewall - Settings - Advanced - Uncheck 'Enable automatic port scan detection' - Ok."

So recently like the poster here I discovered that the VPN icon was missing from the startup menu. A little inquiry led me to discover that I needed to re-install it which I did and upgraded my router's firmware as well. It seems that the problem of disconnecting and reconnecting persists causing me at times to turn it off. Is there some sort of secret fix to keeping it connected without all of the interruptions? The browsers I use most frequently are Chrome and FireFox. Running Windows 7 FWIW.

Also if it matters, I'm more likely to use the wired connection between the computer and router rather than the wireless.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:32:20 AM by bajjerfan »

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »
So why are some links now starting to "go dead" with safe zone? Some parts of a site seem to give no response when you click on a link or icon. It seems necessary to right click and open in a new window.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »
So why are some links now starting to "go dead" with safe zone? Some parts of a site seem to give no response when you click on a link or icon. It seems necessary to right click and open in a new window.

'Safe Zone' has been replaced with Avast Secure Browser some time ago ???

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=78.0

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
There's 34 pages of stuff in that link; not gonna read all of that. An answer of that type is like taking your 2009 vehicle to a mechanic and being told that 2009s aren't being made anymore so we can't help you. How then do I get RID of safe zone [without uninstalling and re-installing ASB] since I have avast secure browser? Seems to me it should never have been incorporated into secure browser/ASB in the first place.

I like bank mode because I maintain a rather short list of bookmarked sites and it keeps me logged into some of them indefinitely so far. The other day on one site it started to go wacko on me.

Also then why is safe zone still an option in ASB security center?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 03:57:49 PM by bajjerfan »

Offline nuk

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
Hi,

I think the OP's question hasn't been aswered, quite odd she hasn't said anything else about it, and as i'm having the same issue (my licensed Avast VPN app vanishing every time from my computer with every restart, not just the ico, but any trace of the software), i'm posting in here instead of opening a new thread. Can anyone help, please?

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
In her case if she has the secure browser click on the Avast icon in the upper right corner which brings up a menu where she can turn it on.

If there is a desktop icon right click on that and choose pin to taskbar or start menu

or go to start and type msconfig in the search bar and make sure it it is enabled in startup

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »
There's 34 pages of stuff in that link; not gonna read all of that. An answer of that type is like taking your 2009 vehicle to a mechanic and being told that 2009s aren't being made anymore so we can't help you. How then do I get RID of safe zone [without uninstalling and re-installing ASB] since I have avast secure browser? Seems to me it should never have been incorporated into secure browser/ASB in the first place.

I like bank mode because I maintain a rather short list of bookmarked sites and it keeps me logged into some of them indefinitely so far. The other day on one site it started to go wacko on me.

My mistake. Bank mode is the thing that is wacko on some sites.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:24:16 PM by bajjerfan »

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
Somehow, some way bank mode seems to have had the glitches fixed by someone somewhere so thanks for that.

Offline bajjerfan

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »
I have recently re-installed the VPN and it won't load any web pages in any of 3 different browsers including Avast Secure browser if the VPN is on. is there a setting that I may have missed?