Author Topic: Unwanted devices connecting to my WiFi  (Read 7788 times)

Offline thepaul73

Unwanted devices connecting to my WiFi
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
Hello I'm wondering if anyone can help with this issue.
I have the avast paid version of Internet Security with the VPN installed on a Windows 10 machine and just about everyday a new device is allowed to connect to my WiFi. I use the password protection provided by Avast. For me to connect a new device i have to enter a long password. which i change regularly. but strangers in range of my wireless router connect cell phones, Pelotrons, and vehicles to my "secure Virtual Private Wireless Network" with no password everyday. i have configured my router to block access to all mac addresses except for devices that I enter manually as exceptions. Am i missing something or is Avast internet security supposed to protect against attacks and intruders before they get to my router?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unwanted devices connecting to my WiFi
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
Is your Firewall profile set to Private or Public ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline thepaul73

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:28:12 PM »
Hi thanks for your help on this. My Firewall is set to public for my WiFi network. LAN setting is private. LAN is only used to make network changes to my router then its disconnected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:39 AM »
You're welcome.

I don't use the avast firewall, so I can't speak from personal experience.

However, if as you say you could set the profile separately for LAN and WiFi, I wasn't aware this could be done.

If you are able to do this, I'm at a loss as to how others can connect to your "secure Virtual Private Wireless Network"without a password.    I just wonder if the word Virtua might have anything to do with that, I'm thinking that would mean it is on your local network (following the Private rules.

Hopefully one of the Avast Team of one of the regulars using the Avast Firewall can help to resolve this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »
Absolutely.
  • Wi-Fi access is controlled by the router, and not the Avast Firewall.  Here in the USA, Xfinity Wi-Fi routers (also Comcast) are set up as wireless hotspots where anyone can connect to that access point without a password, much as you can see from where you are.
  • Both are cable network providers.  Seems that is the way they set up their consumer routers.
  • One way to detect what type of Wi-Fi access you have is to right-click the Windows Network icon in your system tray.  You should be able to find your Wi-Fi access point and it should say it is secured with WPA or higher or be listed as unsecured (wide-open).
  • Wireless WPA2 requires a password for security, unsecured wireless requires no password.
Avast here is just the messenger.  It does not fix issues such as unsecured wireless network.

Again, a private network (trusted such as work or home) does not require a password.
  • A Public network (untrusted such as a coffee shop or airport) may or may not require a password for devices.
  • The default setting for Avast Firewall is always Public.  Users must change the default setting to Private if they want printers, IoT devices, Smart TV's, etc., to connect and communicate with each other.
  • Password restriction in a consumer Wi-Fi network is commonly done only when connecting to the Wi-Fi network, and requires a Wi-Fi Key/Passphrase to join.
  • If no Wi-Fi Key/Passphrase is required to enable a device to join the Wi-Fi network, then that network is unsecured and open to anyone within range of that router.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline thepaul73

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:55:08 PM »
Thank you. What you said about my cable modem makes sense. If my network was unsecured anyone could connect. The wireless network is protected by WPA2-PSk With a password that was generated by my avast password app which has been changed recently so no one has it but me. I do have a wireless printer connected to the network. I thought the Avast firewall was protecting all the network devices from intrusion, but actually its only protecting the device its installed on when its connected to a public WiFi hotspot, and not at all if the firewall setting is incorrect. My router is a Trendnet device that i purchased and configured with the recommended settings. So Avast Wifi inspector just tells you whats connected to the network and doesn't provide protection? and the firewall doesn't block intrusion?. If I can see the devices like a pellotron on my network then both my router and Avast are allowing them thru without a password. something is wrong.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 06:51:46 AM »
If you wish, provide the make and model of your router so we can investigate.

Note:  If recommended settings for administrative passwords and router passwords are default, and they are currently in use, then it is possible to brute force break network security from outside, and if the attack was successful, the network would populate with unknown devices.  Default passwords for many devices, including routers, are for sale on the Dark Web.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
If you wish, provide the make and model of your router so we can investigate.

Note:  If recommended settings for administrative passwords and router passwords are default, and they are currently in use, then it is possible to brute force break network security from outside, and if the attack was successful, the network would populate with unknown devices.  Default passwords for many devices, including routers, are for sale on the Dark Web.
Default sign-in information is readily available on the internet. No need to visit the dark side. :) http://www.routerpasswords.com/
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet