Author Topic: Avast Update: Restart Causes BSOD Loop  (Read 1047 times)

Offline BSOD Sufferer

Avast Update: Restart Causes BSOD Loop
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:14:07 AM »
I'm reposting this thread here from the "other" section. I was too sleepy to tell which board would be the right one to report this in, as I was sleepy and my phone has a rather small screen. If it warrants a warning I'm fully responsible.

Anyways, last night was going how it usually goes with prior ones and I was about ready to log off when Avast sent me a notice that there was an update available to install. I had downloaded an update for other programs such as Adobe Flash (Yes, I still use it), and Clipgrab earlier that night, so I figured why not, and DL'ed the update and followed the prompt to restart my computer.

That restart went as planned until I reached my Windows Password screen (I live with other people and I set up the password so they couldn't go through my stuff), at which point there was a freeze and a BSOD a second later.

It took me off guard but I've had BSOD's before and it generally took simply waiting on a boot-time popup saying "something went wrong" blah blah, so I figured I'd run in safe mode after that.

However the boot notice didn't show, and now I'm stuck in an endless loop of restarting to a BSOD on the password screen. What's worse is that my f11/f8 "menu" is an ASROCK UEFI Setup Utility, which has no options for "safe mode" or anything, just a normal boot to the BSOD. I'm tired, stressed, and at wit's end with this.

If it helps I'll list what I can for my setup below. Also if anyone needs an image of the BSOD error code I can possibly link or embed it from my phone.

Avast Internet Security
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
OS is booting from a Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB
8GB DDR3 RAM

Thank you in advance!
- A sad little BSOD Sufferer