Author Topic: VPS UPDATE NOT WORKING:  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Gopa Kumar

VPS UPDATE NOT WORKING:
« on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:55 AM »
Hi,

Why Avast Free Antivirus is not updating VPS ? I tried updating the same its not working ! Internet is working fine ... Avast throws me VPS outdated error. This happened in the earlier versions as well but I reinstalled and I dont want to repeat the same again.

Offline giulio_toffoletti

Re: VPS UPDATE NOT WORKING:
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
Hi. same problem in another post. Another avast version and o.s ...
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=225401.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »
According to your screenshot avast say it is updated, so should mean you are reciveing stream updates and OK

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »
Check your Avast Defs folder, to see if there is a discrepancy in what is being reported (in your image) to what is actually in the Defs sub-folder.

There is a sub-folder for each definitions update 19022100 = virus definitions version 190221-0 (todays current VPS), there may be others in that defs folder (earlier versions) that avast housekeeping hasn't cleaned up yet.  A reboot should initiate this housekeeping and may even resolve this incorrect reporting.

There will also be those with _stream for the streaming updates in the defs folder.

If there is a discrepancy in what is being reported, try an Avast Repair (rather than a reinstall) that has in the past resolved this out of sync reporting of which version you have and what is reported.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopa Kumar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
Check your Avast Defs folder, to see if there is a discrepancy in what is being reported (in your image) to what is actually in the Defs sub-folder.

There is a sub-folder for each definitions update 19022100 = virus definitions version 190221-0 (todays current VPS), there may be others in that defs folder (earlier versions) that avast housekeeping hasn't cleaned up yet.  A reboot should initiate this housekeeping and may even resolve this incorrect reporting.

There will also be those with _stream for the streaming updates in the defs folder.

If there is a discrepancy in what is being reported, try an Avast Repair (rather than a reinstall) that has in the past resolved this out of sync reporting of which version you have and what is reported.
Repair Worked !!!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:21:16 PM »

Hi :) This can solve also my problem ? Ty

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »

Repair Worked !!!

Glad to hear it :)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »
<snip quote>

It rather depends if the circumstances, the same avast version/build.  But since you are using Avast 9 and XP, your UI will be completely different.  I don't believe the option is in the Troubleshooting section, it certainly isn't in my version of avast free 18.5.xxxx and XP Pro SP3.

You would have to try the avast Repair via:
Control Panel > Add Remove programs > Avast Free Antivirus > Change > Repair and reboot after the repair.

If so it certainly won't hurt and is much easier than trying to do a clean reinstall.

One unknown for me would be, since you have a very old version of avast, would the Repair try to repair up to the last supported avast version for XP?Vista 18.8.xxx.  That version caused me grief and I had to get back to avast free 18.5.xxxx.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »
<snip quote>

It rather depends if the circumstances, the same avast version/build.  But since you are using Avast 9 and XP, your UI will be completely different.  I don't believe the option is in the Troubleshooting section, it certainly isn't in my version of avast free 18.5.xxxx and XP Pro SP3.

You would have to try the avast Repair via:
Control Panel > Add Remove programs > Avast Free Antivirus > Change > Repair and reboot after the repair.

If so it certainly won't hurt and is much easier than trying to do a clean reinstall.

One unknown for me would be, since you have a very old version of avast, would the Repair try to repair up to the last supported avast version for XP?Vista 18.8.xxx.  That version caused me grief and I had to get back to avast free 18.5.xxxx.

TY. Unfortunately my processor ( athlon xp palomino ) don't support the sse2 istruction, so i can't upgrade the version of avast :/ 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 01:29:29 AM »
@     giulio_toffoletti
You're welcome.

Given the lack of sse2 chip support, I would think that the repair would likely keep you on that version.  But that isn't something that I can confirm.

Have you got any backup software ?
I'm talking of drive imaging, making an exact digital image (run weekly or prior to any major change) of your drive/partition, etc. saved to an external drive. If so I would suggest making a full backup before any repair.

If you haven't got a backup and recovery strategy, I suggest thinking about one.  It has saved my backside on a number of occasions (none virus related).  If I have a problem that is likely to take more time than it takes to restore my last image (20 minutes or so), then I restore the image.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »
@     giulio_toffoletti
You're welcome.

Given the lack of sse2 chip support, I would think that the repair would likely keep you on that version.  But that isn't something that I can confirm.

Have you got any backup software ?
I'm talking of drive imaging, making an exact digital image (run weekly or prior to any major change) of your drive/partition, etc. saved to an external drive. If so I would suggest making a full backup before any repair.

If you haven't got a backup and recovery strategy, I suggest thinking about one.  It has saved my backside on a number of occasions (none virus related).  If I have a problem that is likely to take more time than it takes to restore my last image (20 minutes or so), then I restore the image.

Unfortunately I use this pc only for little operations. I have an image ( used true image maxtor edition ) but not recent ... Ty so much for all. :( We will see what appened...  :-\