Author Topic: Internet Security making DNS requests every 5 seconds  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Ultrabenosaurus

• web tinkerer, avid reader, tech enthusiast
    • The Best Place On The Web
Internet Security making DNS requests every 5 seconds
« on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:30 PM »
Avast Internet Security
Program version: 19.2.2364 (build 19.1.4142.454)

So I recently installed some software called AdGuard on my home network which, among other things, shows me an overview of network activity in the last 24 hours as well as a log of the last 5000 DNS queries. I noticed on the overview that in the last 24 hours (approx. 4 hours actually using my PC because it's 22:28 here right now and I have a full-time job during the day) over a third of all DNS queries are to a single domain: avaststat.mailshell.net. Currently it's at 2220 queries for that domain alone from a total of 5593 - that's 39.7%!

As you can see in the attached screenshot, filtering the main log shows that this domain is being queried just about every five seconds without pause and that the response is empty. Although it may be trivial with today's Internet speeds and computer hardware, I do not appreciate this constant drain on my resources.

Is this intended behaviour? What purpose does it serve? Will blocking that domain break my Avast? Can you please stop it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:28:45 PM by Ultrabenosaurus »

Offline Ultrabenosaurus

• web tinkerer, avid reader, tech enthusiast
    • The Best Place On The Web
Re: Internet Security making DNS requests every 5 seconds
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:58:35 AM »
No, seriously, what the hell is this? In the last 6-7 hours there this accounted for over 54% of all DNS queries in my entire house!

If I don't get a reply soon with a good explanation I'll block it, and if that breaks my Avast then I'll cancel my subscription. I'm starting to get a bit tired of the constant adverts and pressure to buy other Avast software or upgrade anyway.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Security making DNS requests every 5 seconds
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 01:28:45 AM »
Sorry I can't help you with your DNS issue as I use Avast Free and don't have AIS.

However having a paid version of avast you should be able to stop the promotions (a.k.a. ads) for other avast products, etc.

Open the Privacy section and I believe it should be one of the options there.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security