Author Topic: Avast! Call Blocker  (Read 4090 times)

Offline SoboLobo

Avast! Call Blocker
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
The "Call Blocker" feature is one of my favorite features in the app, which makes me quite upset to read that you're going to remove it "because of Google Plays new policy".
They've apparently claimed they're going to remove the SMS and Call Log permissions from all apps. (Or rather remove all apps asking for that permission)

The policy clearly states, however, that you can apply for a "permission" to continue to use the Call Log - and SMS.

They wrote this in their reminder from January 14th:
"Developers whose apps used these permissions..." - Call Log and SMS - "...prior to our announcement were notified by email and given 90 days to either remove the permissions, or submit a permissions declaration form to enable further review".
Continuing:
"Developers who submitted a form received a compliance extension until March 9th"

So, are you just giving up on the "Call Blocker" feature, or do you not believe you'll be accepted?
.- -.. -.. / -- . / --- -. / ... -. .- .--. -.-. .... .- - / .- - / - .... . / ..- ... . .-. -. .- -- . / --- ..-. ---... / ... --- -... --- .-.. --- -... ---

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast! Call Blocker
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 09:35:55 AM »
We did apply but unfortunately Google rejected our request, as call blocking is not a core feature of our AV app.

You can check the "Use of SMS or Call Log permission groups" list on
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9047303

to see that "Antivirus/security" is on the "list of common use cases that won't be permitted to access sensitive user data associated with SMS and Call Log permissions".

Offline SoboLobo

Re: Avast! Call Blocker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:45:57 PM »
That sucks.
Thanks for the answer. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
.- -.. -.. / -- . / --- -. / ... -. .- .--. -.-. .... .- - / .- - / - .... . / ..- ... . .-. -. .- -- . / --- ..-. ---... / ... --- -... --- .-.. --- -... ---