Author Topic: why I've unsubscribed after 5 years -- slow, poor performance and in-app ads  (Read 1732 times)

Offline longtimelistener

I had used Avast free versions for several years before purchasing back in 2014. I've  run 1-2 licenses since then and was steadily renewing. In the last couple of years the quality of this product has declined. I have Windows 8 & Windows 10 systems. Plus paid  for a subscription on my son's laptop.

1. The GUI is slow and clunky.

2. Faced app malfunctions leaving my system unprotected. Had  to  use phone support. That  was not a good experience at all. I had  observed similar issues on forums. Did  not seem to have been handled well.

3. In-app ads in the paid version for other Avast products. GUI being so difficult  to use, I was never able to figure out if it was possible  to disable them.  They were obtrusive  and worsened  my experience.

4. By far the worst and why I finally unsubscribed is that it was too slow. On both my systems, especially after waking from sleep, they disk thrashed  for 10-15 minutes. I suppose there's some scan that needs to run. Whatever -- I was often just powering off instead of waiting through it. Easy to repro. Browse, watch some videos with Chrome, read the news, check your email. E.g., just use your computer for a long time without turning it off. The browsers  are  memory hogs, which isn't Avast's fault. But it needs to co-exist efficiently.

I'm using BitDefender Total Security now. GUI is noticeably smoother vs Avast's and the laptop is much more responsive overall. No in-app ads so far. They do seem to have similar upgrade options, main point is there's no ad getting in my way.

I was a big fan of Avast and hope they listen.

Offline Leo50

• Security is not a joke !
Hello, i use this products since a long time ago and the only time i see that is when my last computer was dying. Are you sure thoses problems doesn't come from your computer !??

What configurations do you have ?
How run your cpu ?
How much ram do you have ?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
3. In-app ads in the paid version for other Avast products. GUI being so difficult  to use, I was never able to figure out if it was possible  to disable them.  They were obtrusive  and worsened  my experience.
You can disable the ads in the paid versions: Avast GUI -> Settings -> Personal Privacy
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline longtimelistener

Hi Leo50.

My laptop has 6 GB of RAM.

My desktop has 32 GB of RAM.

Both computers work fine. They both have HDDs, no SDDs, which I bet would sidestep the problem. My issue might be perceived as a corner case, but I don't think it is.  It's having used the computer for some time, combined with a lot of web browsing. I think if the browsers (same issue Chrome or FireFox) weren't so greedy for RAM, this might not be so noticeable.

Same problem on both; the scan after wake is too expensive in terms of hard drive usage. It's really noticeable how much better it is with BitDefender after I wake  up the laptop.

Also thanks on how to turn off the in-app ads. It's uninstalled now so it doesn't matter.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Also thanks on how to turn off the in-app ads. It's uninstalled now so it doesn't matter.
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0