Author Topic: Very Confused Trying to Sync Passwords For the First Time  (Read 7192 times)

Offline David1131

Very Confused Trying to Sync Passwords For the First Time
« on: March 07, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
Followed all the steps on the website, but:

Windows PC says: Please approve from another syncronized device. Open Avast passwords on another synced device... verify the code that matches the one above (I don't see any code above)

Android phone says: Pending authorization to account. You must first authorize access to your account from a device that's already active. (Does this mean my PC?)

What to do? Where to start?  :o

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Very Confused Trying to Sync Passwords For the First Time
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 03:10:28 PM »
Hi David1131,

If you are using the same email address for the synchronization process as you've used to register on this forum, then the issue is being caused because this is not the first time that you've synchronized a device, and the system is expecting you to use the device that was originally synced to authorize your new devices.

The options that we have to resolve this are:
  • When Passwords was set up, you would have been sent a backup email. If you can find this email, then you can use it to authorize the new devices instead. The email would have been sent to your email address on 25-Jan-2017. You can find more information about how to do this (and a picture of the email) in the following support guide: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/92
  • The second option is to delete the current passwords information and synchronization group and to start again. This will wipe any saved passwords that you currently have in the synchronization group, but not those stored on your current device/s.

Please let me know if you were able to backup from the email, or if you wish to delete the synchronization group.

Offline David1131

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
Thank you!

I found the email. So I will try that route first

Offline David1131

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
1) Followed the steps until I got stuck on my mobile with "Now enter the password when you first... you vault" 4 attempts remaining. 

(or something like that)

2) This is confusing... I don't know if I should enter the Master Password for Avast Passwords, the password when I open my Avast Interface on my PC, the password when I login to Avast.com, or some other password from long time ago "when you first..."  :-[

3) Even stranger, when I look at my Avast interface on my PC now, it seems to indicate that all  has already been successfully synced to my mobile; despite what I mentioned in #1 above (and even gives me the option to "Remove" my phone from the synced devices.)

4) Also, when I check  my phone, seems all my passwords have now been backed up properly... so it's done and successful, right?   

Am I missing something? What to do next?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:14:06 AM by David1131 »

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
Hi David1131,

From our side it now shows that your devices have been successfully added to the synchronization group and the data is being shared across the devices. At this stage, if you are asked again for a Master Password, it will be the the password that you have chosen to use with Avast Passwords on that device. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

Offline Ricardo M.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
Hi David1131,

If you are using the same email address for the synchronization process as you've used to register on this forum, then the issue is being caused because this is not the first time that you've synchronized a device, and the system is expecting you to use the device that was originally synced to authorize your new devices.

The options that we have to resolve this are:
  • When Passwords was set up, you would have been sent a backup email. If you can find this email, then you can use it to authorize the new devices instead. The email would have been sent to your email address on 25-Jan-2017. You can find more information about how to do this (and a picture of the email) in the following support guide: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/92
  • The second option is to delete the current passwords information and synchronization group and to start again. This will wipe any saved passwords that you currently have in the synchronization group, but not those stored on your current device/s.

Please let me know if you were able to backup from the email, or if you wish to delete the synchronization group.

Dear support,

I have the same issue but I have not the original email because I am an old avast user. So, I would like to know how I can do the process to delete my current passwords information.
Thx

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
Hi Ricardo M.

Your synchronized data has been deleted now, so you can synchronize your devices as if you were a new user (please see this support article for instructions if needed: https://support.avast.com/article/255/)

Offline David1131

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 04:56:43 AM »
UPDATE:  There may be no way to remember a "master password when you first synchronized your vault" but instead, during the process (I dunno what exact step triggers it), you receive an "activation code" on your email instead, which allows you to sync.

Offline toddmaxclay

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 12:42:42 AM »
Hi support,

I'm also an old Avast user and can't find the backup email, I have been trying for about a day to get my passwords from my Huawei GT3 Android phone to my new Samsung Galaxy A50 or to my MS Windows laptop but no luck which is very frustrating!

Also when following https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/255/ Synchronizing Avast Passwords data across your devices for Android I don't see step 6 Verify your device details under My synced devices on my Huawei GT3 Android phone?!

Thanks Todd
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:20:37 AM by toddmaxclay »