Author Topic: [NOT SOLVED ] Avast free virus definition updates make full my hard drive  (Read 28572 times)

Offline giulio_toffoletti

Hello. I have news about my post
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=225401.msg1495224#msg1495224

Today i see that from the 6th February, every definiton update keep 450 mb from my hard disk. I can see in the avast directory from this date all the folder with the definition. The avast installation occupy now 8 gb on the hdd.
I can't delete the older definition. I tried to repair the installation but nothing is change. What can i do now. I have no more free space to lose... Sorry for my bad english,  it's a little bit complicated for me to explaine the problem.  :-[

Windows xp sp3, hdd 80 gb avast free 9. Hdd is ok, no error.
Someone can help me? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:37:32 PM by giulio_toffoletti »

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Avast free virus definition updates make full my hard drive
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
Please turn of the self-defense in Settings-> Troubleshooting and then you will be able to delete those old files.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »
Hi ^_^ Thank You so much :)

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
Please turn of the self-defense in Settings-> Troubleshooting and then you will be able to delete those old files.

Sorry but I have a question. If i delete the folder with the older definition in Avast/setup is sure that I don't make a disaster?  :-[ TY

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:00:17 AM »
Should work, but no guarantee for V9 on XP. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »
Should work, but no guarantee for V9 on XP. ;)

Ok. Ty. I will try...  :-\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
Can you please generate a support package (as described here: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file), submit it and post the package ID here?
Normally the old definition folders are deleted automatically of course, so there has to be something strange happening with Avast on your system...
Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:26:55 AM »
Can you please generate a support package (as described here: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file), submit it and post the package ID here?
Normally the old definition folders are deleted automatically of course, so there has to be something strange happening with Avast on your system...
Thanks.

I have found that the Avast Housekeeping isn't running as it used to with several old DEFs folders still remaining on this XP system, but most of them only have the SWCUEngine.dll file.  Invariably only the current and previous VPS folders are full.

Rebooting the system (which would ordinarily remain ON) does appear to work to remove old folders.  On occasion there is still the current and previous defs folders remain and may be fully populated.

For MartinZ, disabling the Self-Defence doesn't allow deletion of old folders, even disabling the avast shields doesn't allow this.  Previously I can recall being able to do this.

EDIT: Inclusion of defs folder image attachment after reboot.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:45:01 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
Thanks.

I have found that the Avast Housekeeping isn't running as it used to with several old DEFs folders still remaining on this XP system, but most of them only have the SWCUEngine.dll file.  Invariably only the current and previous VPS folders are full.

Rebooting the system (which would ordinarily remain ON) does appear to work to remove old folders.  On occasion there is still the current and previous defs folders remain and may be fully populated.

For MartinZ, disabling the Self-Defence doesn't allow deletion of old folders, even disabling the avast shields doesn't allow this.  Previously I can recall being able to do this.

Thank you to all. I see that the problem is more complicated as I thought. As soon as possible ( i write on this forum from another pc ) i will try to do what asked. I hoped to free the space as MartinZ told me. Now I'm fearfull and worried :/ :( But really thanks. I se that the avast installation in the application menù use 8 gb of space... I'm confused... Sorry.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 06:32:38 PM »
Thanks.

===========
Unfortunately the avast support tool give me an error. Maybe because my cpu don't support sse2 instruction.  The situation is now very complicated for me. I have no more place on the hdd, I add some images.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 06:37:04 PM »
All the problems began on 6th february. Now i have no idea. How can I delete the old definitions folder without make a disaster, when and if is possible? In windows safe mode maybe? Thanks for any answer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
@  giulio_toffoletti
1.  Did you try the manual deletion of the old defs sub-folders (first disable the avast self defence module) as suggested.  I'm thinking this may still work in your older avast 9 version, unlike mine with a fairly recent avast18.5 version

2.  Have you done a system reboot, as that for me clears dated defs sub folders ?

If so and no change.
3.  Try an Avast Repair - Control Panel > Add Remove programs > Avast Antivirus - Change, from the next window select Repair.  Reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 11:20:08 PM »
@  giulio_toffoletti
1.  Did you try the manual deletion of the old defs sub-folders (first disable the avast self defence module) as suggested.  I'm thinking this may still work in your older avast 9 version, unlike mine with a fairly recent avast18.5 version

2.  Have you done a system reboot, as that for me clears dated defs sub folders ?

If so and no change.
3.  Try an Avast Repair - Control Panel > Add Remove programs > Avast Antivirus - Change, from the next window select Repair.  Reboot after the repair.

Ty for the answer.
I've just tried the point 3 unsuccessfull :(
I turn off the pc every day. So i make a new boot every morning. The folders you can see are the folder created every day. :(
I' ll try as you tell me the manual deletion. If also this don't solve the problem i don't know...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:15 PM »
You're welcome, you're bumping into having an old system and old avast version.  Unfortunately most of the regular users on the forum haven't used the version for years and things change.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
Inside the C:\Programmi\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs folder, there's a small file called aswdefs.ini.
Can you please open it (e.g. in Notepad) and post its content here? (There's a value Latest=something inside - and I'd like to know if it refers to the latest folder you have on disk, or for example to the very first one - 19020600).

Also, could you please create a list of the files in the folders and attach it here? Just open a command line prompt (e.g. press Win+R and type cmd.exe into the box). Then copy&paste the following command to the command prompt:
dir /s "C:\Programmi\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs" > c:\windows\temp\aswlist.txt
After that, please attach the file (c:\windows\temp\aswlist.txt) here...
Thanks!