Author Topic: [NOT SOLVED ] Avast free virus definition updates make full my hard drive  (Read 28573 times)

Offline giulio_toffoletti

Re: Avast free virus definition updates make full my hard drive
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
10 the last  :P

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 08:25:15 PM »
Wow, thanks a lot!
Now... I can see that some of the extractions (of new virus definitions) failed with "Not enough space on disk error" during the file extraction. That's possible I guess - if there was a low disk-space condition during the update, the virus definition extraction failed - and made the problem even worse because the partially extracted folder remained on disk (and again and again, each time there was a little space - but not enough for a correct update - it got consumed by an incomplete one). Unfortunately some of the folders (the biggest ones) failed later, during a "preparation" phase... and the error doesn't really say what went wrong. Could have been a low-disk space as well (the preparation phase creates additional files, so if the previous extraction filled the drive up to its maximum...
I admit it sounds like a bit of a coincidence - to happen so many times, plus I can see the listing says 2GB free on the C: drive. On the other hand, I believe free disk space used to be sometimes reported incorrectly by the system, so I guess it can be the case.

You certainly don't want to edit the aswdefs.ini file and "move it" to newer definitions - they are not complete and Avast wouldn't be able to load them (if they were OK, the ini file would get updated automatically). I'd suggest to manually remove the folders other than the one referenced in aswdefs.ini (i.e. if aswdefs.ini still says 19020600 is the latest, remove all the newer ones). You can keep those whose name ends with _stream - those are streaming updates and they are actually being used to protect you, plus they are small anyway).
This should hopefully make some space on disk - and then try to update the virus definition (maybe even via the full update downloaded from our web). Of course, if you could free some more space on disk (in other ways, not just in Avast folder), that could help as well.
What happens when you do that? Does the number in aswdefs.ini finally change?

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
Wow, thanks a lot!
Now... I can see that some of the extractions (of new virus definitions) failed with "Not enough space on disk error" during the file extraction. That's possible I guess - if there was a low disk-space condition during the update, the virus definition extraction failed - and made the problem even worse because the partially extracted folder remained on disk (and again and again, each time there was a little space - but not enough for a correct update - it got consumed by an incomplete one). Unfortunately some of the folders (the biggest ones) failed later, during a "preparation" phase... and the error doesn't really say what went wrong. Could have been a low-disk space as well (the preparation phase creates additional files, so if the previous extraction filled the drive up to its maximum...
I admit it sounds like a bit of a coincidence - to happen so many times, plus I can see the listing says 2GB free on the C: drive. On the other hand, I believe free disk space used to be sometimes reported incorrectly by the system, so I guess it can be the case.

You certainly don't want to edit the aswdefs.ini file and "move it" to newer definitions - they are not complete and Avast wouldn't be able to load them (if they were OK, the ini file would get updated automatically). I'd suggest to manually remove the folders other than the one referenced in aswdefs.ini (i.e. if aswdefs.ini still says 19020600 is the latest, remove all the newer ones). You can keep those whose name ends with _stream - those are streaming updates and they are actually being used to protect you, plus they are small anyway).
This should hopefully make some space on disk - and then try to update the virus definition (maybe even via the full update downloaded from our web). Of course, if you could free some more space on disk (in other ways, not just in Avast folder), that could help as well.
What happens when you do that? Does the number in aswdefs.ini finally change?

Hi and Thanks for all. With 6 gb of free space nothing different. I try to read and understand what appened on the 6th feb in the update log but it's to difficult for me. I have no idea. Every idea is something accepted  :-\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:27 PM »
 :(

Can you please upload the last part of the Update.log (from the line with "START: Avast installer/updater" and the current date?) - to see what happened with more disk space? Or, you could rename the Update.log file to something else and start a virus definition update - then a new Update.log file should be created, so you can attach it whole.

Offline peter_nejedly

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »
hey, i've got very same problem as giulio here... sending my last part of update.log, hope it's gonna be useful anyhow...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 04:11:56 PM »
Strange, also a non-SSE2 cpu. It starts to look related...

Offline peter_nejedly

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 06:29:19 PM »

yes, i'm afraid... too old to work properly... :(

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »
:(

Can you please upload the last part of the Update.log (from the line with "START: Avast installer/updater" and the current date?) - to see what happened with more disk space? Or, you could rename the Update.log file to something else and start a virus definition update - then a new Update.log file should be created, so you can attach it whole.

Hi and ty as everyday ;)
This is the update log of today

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 06:35:57 PM »

Mumble mumble. The version 9 don't need sse2 istruction. also the avast_free_antivirus_setup10.4.2233.1299.exe is "sse2 free". Bob3160 linked every time this offline setup for this old cpu.  :-\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
I believe I finally found the problem... stay tuned, hopefully a fix will appear soon.

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »
I believe I finally found the problem... stay tuned, hopefully a fix will appear soon.

Fingers crossed  ;) It would be great
TY

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »
Please try again with the latest virus definitions, a sse-2 related problem was fixed there.

Offline peter_nejedly

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
great, works for me... thank you very much, sir...

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
Please try again with the latest virus definitions, a sse-2 related problem was fixed there.

Thank you so much for all.  :D The problem is solved. wonderfull, great work !!!