Author Topic: Email Hacked  (Read 1788 times)

Offline joeffr

Email Hacked
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:29:46 AM »
I received an email from a hacker claiming to have installed a keylogger on my machine and has stolen passwords and has also accessed my webcam. He is demanding $1,000.00 in bitcoin to not release the info to my contacts. I know this is a scam however, I am running Avast Premier and completed a Smart Scan. Nothing was found. Would Avast Premier find any intrusions on my computer? I always use a VPN when accessing the internet and as a precaution, I have changed all my important passwords. Any help about this would be appreciated.

Joe

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email Hacked
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:40:22 AM »
Its a scam

Many such reports of similar email threats, along similar lines not to broadcast your browsing habits 'keeping your guilty secret,' etc. etc.  As for having access to your webcam, even if he did (which I doubt) do what many others do use a post-it note to obscure it. I have done this on my win10 laptop, even though I don't expect to be hacked.

Intrusions into your computer have to get established  and I do believe avast Web Shield should either prevent this from happening at website level.  The receipt of an email isn't enough to do this unless you A) open it and B) click any of the links on the suspect email.  I also use MailWasher Pro that allows me to view a small part of an email (in plain text) to determine if I will even download the email.

Plus the Behaviour Shield should also protect against Intrusion (Suspicious Program Behaviour).

The thing that makes me mad is this prat effectively expects you to trust him if you did pay (and I never would), you're home free.  You are more likely to have your email address sold to other scammers.

All that said, always have a robust Backup and Recovery Strategy.  I use hard drive imaging software for this to backup Drives, Partitions, etc. and I run it weekly and save the backups to an external drive, I keep the last 6 backups.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Email Hacked
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:45:58 AM »
-> Avast Hack-Check: https://www.avast.com/hackcheck
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0