Author Topic: Avast free registration key for older versions has a problem!!!  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Re: Avast free registration key for older versions has a problem!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 12:51:10 AM »
I use EaseUS Todo myself but I simply don't have enough storage space or inclination to create a system image each time I install a new program or update. You can create a restore point in a few seconds, at least you can with a desktop shortcut.

CCleaner also makes deletion of redundant restore points very easy for freeing up space or as part of a regular maintenance regime.

Its a basic first level safety net and whilst there is always criticism of it found on various forums until this particular AVAST issue it had never failed to work on this PC which is now 3+ years old. In the past more often than not I've found it fixed the sort of problems I've had which restoring a computer to an earlier point could fix when I've needed it too. In other words: I've always found it reliable     

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 02:10:57 AM »
Don't be hatin' - in this case it's Avast 8.0.1506

This is regarding the free, extended registration key provided for older Avast Free versions. Here:

https://www.avast.com/en-us/registration-free-antivirus

I updated my virus definitions this morning. Just for 'maintenance' I decided to reboot the computer and that's when the problem appeared.

Avast is loading, but all the Shields are disabled. Won't even allow me to check for virus definition updates now. WTH!?!? Reboot - problem still there.

I look at my Registration info screen and I find this:

So I'm either not registered. Or I'm good until some time in 2038.  :o

Uninstalled Avast and reinstalled. It's working again under the "30 day free trial" option from a fresh install.

Reenter the registration key from the above linked page and I'm right back to the problem. I'm assuming there is something wrong with that registration key at this point, regarding the software having mixed messages about what date the registration key is good through.

Help! Can someone from Avast look into this?

I have the same problem with avast-Free 8.0.1497 on my W2000-PC!!!

After manual VPS-Updating and after automatic VPS-Updating to 190313-4 all seems good, but after a reboot the red cross appears again!!!

What can I do???

I made several reboots but the red cross is still there and the programm says "Der Avast-Dienst wird nicht ausgeführt"!!!
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:01 AM »
A fix in the offline-Updates would be great for Windows 2000 here:

https://www.avast.com/de-de/download-update
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline Rickajho

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »
I have the same problem with avast-Free 8.0.1497 on my W2000-PC!!!

After manual VPS-Updating and after automatic VPS-Updating to 190313-4 all seems good, but after a reboot the red cross appears again!!!

What can I do???

I made several reboots but the red cross is still there and the programm says "Der Avast-Dienst wird nicht ausgeführt"!!!

@jaroslav.nix It didn't work here either.  >:(

Apparently I had already done the 190312 update before it was announced here. Avast was still disabled. (I mentioned doing an AVSUPD.exe earlier in this thread.) Saw the announcement about the fix - oh joy!. Downloaded the recent AVSUPD.exe and ran it:

Still not working. Same problem I started this thread with.

Not much else to do so I:

Uninstalled Avast. Ok

Reinstalled Avast 8.0.1497. Ok

After installation it automatically did a Virus and definitions update. Ok - for now.

Program updated from 8.0.1497 to 8.0.1506. Error message at the end of the update:

Don't know what that means! Better reboot and - right back to the problem as I first reported it.

I saved the DMP file from that error if someone wants to look at it.

Try to update via Avast and I get:

Has anyone else who reported this fix worked actually rebooted their computer to see if it's still working?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:31:32 AM by Rickajho »

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »
Yes, the Problem beginns AFTER THE REBOOT!!! :(

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »
Avast is aware that some users are still having the problem and are looking into it.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline oh2

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
I confirm that after a new installation of avast, everything looks fine, but only until the first restart. Then the license will be reduced to zero again. The fix did not solve anything.

Offline Rickajho

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
@bob3160 thanks for the update!  :)

@avast thanks for the update! ... not so much.   :( Why you do what you did?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
@bob3160 thanks for the update!  :)

@avast thanks... not so much.   :( Why you do what you did?
You're welcome.
I can assure you if Avast kew what caused this, it would not have happened. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
All I can report is that my v8.0.1487 installation was not working yesterday as I posted. For me I was getting an error message about the aswRun.Dll.exe not working with the fault ("Fault Module") being connected with another DLL: mscvr90.dll.

After the quick VPS update later in the day the red cross disappeared and AVAST v8.0.1487 started working again as before. I was worried it would reappear on reboot but I've completely shutdown and restarted the PC twice since then and all is still good 24hrs on.

No settings were changed as far as I can see; today's (190314-0) definitions (auto) update has been installed and the perpetual 'free' licence code did not need to be re-entered; it is still showing the 2038 expiry date.

Looking at the different error messages and descriptions of the problem other users are having I'm wondering if there is more than one issue here (Windows OS version?). For me although some elements of AVAST were still accessible and the GUI functional for navigation it was not functional in most other ways. That aswRun.Dll.exe not working, obviously a key AVAST component, was the major problem.

Have any of the others here for whom the VPS update has not worked ever had a Windows error message like the one I did (see below) or checked their Event Viewer for more details about the problem?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:18:24 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »
One problem is, that avast doesn't update the VPS-Definitions, when the red cross is shown an the programm is "off"!!!

The automatic VPS-Update doesn't work in this case and same with the Offline VPS-Updates... >:(

I made a backup from my system in January, weeks before our problem here.

The only way for me is to restore my system to this point in January and after that making the VPS-Updates, when avast have found a solution

for our problem here!!!

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
Hi guys, we fixed the original reported issue yesterday (in VPS 19031302), the problem was affecting only some older versions of Avast 8.

We decided to changed the format of VPS (virus database) and synchronize it with latest versions of Avast. The Avast 8 is now getting the same version of VPS as any other (newer) Avast products (including Avast 19). Unfortunately we haven't seen those issues (with license and not running service) on latest Avast 8 builds (used e.g. in business installations), so the older versions stop working and we haven't noticed. Sorry about that. On the other hand, this is fixed by changes in yesterday VPS (we basically revert the way how to sign the VPS for Avast 8 installations, because those old builds are not compatible with new way of signing). So as of now, Avast 8 contains newest version of VPS, just the digital signature stay older one.

Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce issues any more. We did try several builds on several OS versions (including Windows 2000) and it works fine now. So if you can share with us the exact steps how to reproduce, it would be very helpful. If possible, please share also the exact avast build (installer) you use, license number and anything what can help us to reproduce in house.

Thank you.

Offline batoh

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »
I'm too, using a Windows 7 SP1 and two Windows XP SP3 machines whit avast 5.
After the monday march 12th update, both Windows XP PCs do not starts Avast service and the Avast icon have the red cross over by saying the program is not working. They was updated to avast 7 and avast 8, but the same problem appears. They works properly until they're updated.
I've a VPS offline donwloaded 2018 update and it works great, but when they're updated, after restart the system, the red cross appears and Avast does not works.
On Windows 7 seems to work fine, but not on Windows XP after the March 11th update.  :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:35:56 PM by batoh »

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »
@jaroslav.nix,

please can you post download links to different avast Free 8 versions for the case, that the actually installed versions doesn't work with your solution?!

For example, I haven't the setup-file of my avast Free V.8.0.1497, but I don't want to download it from "unknown"/unsecure websites...

Thank you!

Offline Rickajho

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »
Hi guys, we fixed the original reported issue yesterday (in VPS 19031302), the problem was affecting only some older versions of Avast 8.

We decided to changed the format of VPS (virus database) and synchronize it with latest versions of Avast. The Avast 8 is now getting the same version of VPS as any other (newer) Avast products (including Avast 19). Unfortunately we haven't seen those issues (with license and not running service) on latest Avast 8 builds (used e.g. in business installations), so the older versions stop working and we haven't noticed. Sorry about that. On the other hand, this is fixed by changes in yesterday VPS (we basically revert the way how to sign the VPS for Avast 8 installations, because those old builds are not compatible with new way of signing). So as of now, Avast 8 contains newest version of VPS, just the digital signature stay older one.

Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce issues any more. We did try several builds on several OS versions (including Windows 2000) and it works fine now. So if you can share with us the exact steps how to reproduce, it would be very helpful. If possible, please share also the exact avast build (installer) you use, license number and anything what can help us to reproduce in house.

Thank you.

Are we to assume at this point that a current version of vpsupd.exe does not fix any problems created by an update that had an incorrect digital signature?