Author Topic: Avast scanning automatically, how can I stop it?  (Read 5681 times)

Offline dustyb

Avast scanning automatically, how can I stop it?
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »
Hi guys, I'm using Windows 7 (resisted upgrading to 10) and I'm using the latest version of Avast.

For some reason Avast is scanning all my files, without me requesting it to do so.  I don't mean the shield scanning files I open or download (which I appreciate).  I mean it's scanning random files on my machine.

Looking at Resource Monitor > Disk > Disk Activity I can see AvastSvc.exe accessing a whole host of random files one after another.  I'm a web developer and have hundreds of local versions of client sites on my machine. Each site in turn has thousands of files, and dozens of backup versions.  In short, I don't want Avast scanning all of these files.  I can hear my machine churning as it's being made to work, and it'd take a looooong time to get through all the files.

I've trawled through the settings on Avast and can't see anywhere that prompts it to scan automatically to enable me to stop this.  I rebooted, but Avast seems to have picked up where it left off. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Offline dustyb

Re: Avast scanning automatically, how can I stop it?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
In case this helps anyone else, I'm replying to my own thread.

I followed the advice in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp03Kl11RF0 and uninstalled Avast services other than the File, Behaviour, Web and Mail shields.

I've rebooted, and it seems to have stopped Avast's constant scanning, thus giving my ears a rest from the churning of my disk access.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast scanning automatically, how can I stop it?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
Same as open Avast UI then go:
Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting
Then look for [Add/Modify Components]
Select only the items you really need.