Author Topic: Email Ransom Demand  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Joe305

Email Ransom Demand
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
      I recently received an email from my own email account. The hacker claimed to have hacked my account, accessed my webcam and asked for $1,000 in Bitcoin be transferred to his personal wallet with account number included. He claims to have installed Malware on my computer however, I ran a smart scan and also ran Malwarebytes, nothing was found. I use the Thunderbird email client and was able to capture the email headers and source code for that email. I contacted IC3 to report this ransom demand but it's been 4 days and I have not received any follow up.
    It seems that since IC3 has no interest in pursuing this hacker, my question to the Avast community, is it possible that some sort of Malware,worm or Trojan has actually been installed on my windows 10 computer. Lastly, I have all of the email code saved as a 75 page PDF file. IC3 does not give you the option to upload any documentation so, am I protected by my Avast Premier or are there further steps that should be taken. Thank you in advance for any help or advice anyone my be able to provide.     

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:20:47 PM by Pondus »

Offline Joe305

Re: Email Ransom Demand
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
Thank you for the links. Although i really don't have any concerns about what the scammer says in his bogus email. I just thought law enforcement might like having the IP address and ISP used to send this message. While I would never personally send anyone a penny, I worry more for those that might fall for this type of scam. If I was more knowledgeable, I would love to blast his email. Oh well, Thank your for the info. I appreciate the response. Have a good day.