Author Topic: How to stop download scans on Mac  (Read 2007 times)

Offline BR02

How to stop download scans on Mac
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:42:30 PM »
I'm running Avast 13.12 on Mojave 10.14 and I'm trying to disable the scanning of fiels on DOWNLOAD. Under the "Web Shield" setting there is an option "Scan files while downloading" and this is NOT checked.

However, whenever downloading any file my Activity monitor will always show the process "com.avast.proxy" as pushing a large volume of SENT/RCVD bytes through it.

Tends to make me think that the option isn't working properly. Anyone have any ideas on how to speed Avast up...?  Thanks

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: How to stop download scans on Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
Hello,

even when you unselect the checkbox, proxy still works and scans eg content of web pages or malicious urls. This means that all the data still need to go through proxy, as only based on the content of the traffic it is possible to identify downloads. The overhead of simply passing data through proxy should be minimal, and the checkbox turns off scanning of downloads.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: How to stop download scans on Mac
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
BR02,

What is the use case for disabling the web shield scanning? This seems quite a risk given the percentage of threats that come from online today.

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay