Author Topic: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Windows  (Read 21195 times)

jamesvaul

Since I've installed Avast 4.7, I see randomly strange rectangles with words like "task manager" (if I opened the task manager) "copy" (if I copied something by context menus) remains on top of all Windows and also when I log-off I still see these rectangles in the logon screen.
I use a limited user account under Windows XP SP2 (I don't know if this is matter)
Why this happens?
I also noticed that the log viewer doesn't start from the Avast context menu system tray (I see the process ashLogV.exe in the task manager but I can't see the window)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 06:04:57 PM by jamesvaul »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
This is not avast related...
When I had this in the past I could notice that when your CPU is stressed (high use) the video could have a poor refresh rate.
If you boot (maybe logon, but sometimes it does not work) completely, the problem will be solved...

How many video memory do you have?  8)
The best things in life are free.

jamesvaul

This is not avast related...

That's not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's an Avast bug!. I'm pretty sure. If I uninstall it everything is Ok, if I install it I get this graphic bugs.
And this is not a refresh problem, but it's an avast bug!!!

I found the steps to reproduce this bug:
1. start avast Log viewer from avast tray icon context menu (and Log viewer process starts but window is NOT VISIBLE due a bug!)
2. right click on the desktop or on your internet browser or where you want to show any window context menu and select  an item (for example "copy") or select the "task manager" using the context menu
3. you'll see these rectangles "copy" or "task manager"
So this graphic bug is triggered by the Log viewer

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:03:43 AM by jamesvaul »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
While I do not suggest your problem is not real it is not easily reproduced.

I just created a limited account on my (XP SP2) system.  When I log on to the limited account and I display the avast log viewer it displays just the same way it does for an administrator account.

Displaying the task manager or using the copy function does not leave any residual boxes in my limited account.

jamesvaul

While I do not suggest your problem is not real it is not easily reproduced.

I just created a limited account on my (XP SP2) system.  When I log on to the limited account and I display the avast log viewer it displays just the same way it does for an administrator account.

Displaying the task manager or using the copy function does not leave any residual boxes in my limited account.

right now I've tested this bug under the administrator account and I've this bug also here (log viewer is not showed and graphic rectangles after that)
My avast configuration is this:
1. I haven't installed the Avast skin support
2. I have installed only the 4 modules you see in the screenshot

I also see in this forum another user had this bug: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22392.0

If I kill the avast log viewer process then I'm able to start it again from the avast system tray icon context menu and see it.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:58:58 AM by jamesvaul »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
I notice in your screenshots that your browser display looks rather unlike any I'm familiar with (forgive me), it appears to show an IE logo but with some form of custom skin.  Can you advise the browser you are using?

Also just want to be clear when you say you "I haven't installed the skin support" are you just saying that you have the "skin" boxes unchecked in the Common section of the Program Settings?

jamesvaul

Also just want to be clear when you say you "I haven't installed the skin support" are you just saying that you have the "skin" boxes unchecked in the Common section of the Program Settings?

I meant Avast Skin support! During Avast installation you're able to install or not install the avast skins!
And by the way this happens also with windows xp classic theme and the browser doesn't matter because this rectangles appear on every windows and also if I don't open IE.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:59:50 AM by jamesvaul »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Sorry, it has been a couple of months since I last installed avast on a new system and then I used the "typical" install.

I just uninstalled avast on this system and performed a custom install (as I assume you have) without skin support and with just the providers you show in your screen capture.

I then created again a limited account. 

Unfortunately, the log viewer works perfectly well with both administrator and limited accounts and in neither type of account are the "rectangles" for the task manager or copy functions left on the screen. 

I hope that the avast team has greater success in recreating the problem you are seeing. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I notice in your screenshots that your browser display looks rather unlike any I'm familiar with (forgive me), it appears to show an IE logo but with some form of custom skin.  Can you advise the browser you are using?
Isn't it just IE 7 ?

James, there is no need to be angry... at least, I've just posted my experience. I had (and have from time to time, not that frequently) this problem too. I'm just saying that, for me, it's a resource and video memory management and not avast (directly) related. Maybe if avast is using that many resources (scanning, for instance) it could let you in this situation.  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
I've tried to reproduce this on 8 different systems.
None of them had any problem.
Looks like this is caused by something else that is installed on that system.
eg: XP theme managers are known to cause display problems.

jamesvaul

Looks like this is caused by something else that is installed on that system.
eg: XP theme managers are known to cause display problems.

No. It's avast!. I haven't a theme manager (and please don't say stupidities because I've never seen a xp theme causing a display problem!!!! and this is not a display problem but it's a bug!).
This bug is triggered only after I opened a module i.e the "avast! logviewer" from the avast context menu (and sometimes with "Start avast! antivirus") and the first time I click on it the module window is not showed but the process is listed in task manager. If I don't open the modules from the avast context menu then no rectangles will appear, so it's an avast! bug.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:00:54 PM by jamesvaul »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
In my opinion, it's simply a problem with graphic adapter drivers - I've seen this a few times already. On the other hand, not showing of avast! windows is also something I've already seen - and the problem was due to a program called "Icon packager" (some theme manager, IIRC).

Anyway, try to check if you have the latest version of graphic card drivers installed.

jamesvaul

In my opinion, it's simply a problem with graphic adapter drivers - I've seen this a few times already.

you wrong! This happens only as I explained and after I've installed avast!. If it were a problem of drivers the rectangles would always appear, while they only appear when I make to start a module of avast from the avast context menu

On the other hand, not showing of avast! windows is also something I've already seen - and the problem was due to a program called "Icon packager" (some theme manager, IIRC).

I don't have it, I don't have theme manager, I don't have IIRC.

Anyway, try to check if you have the latest version of graphic card drivers installed.

I have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers. And it's an avast! bug!!!!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:48:49 AM by jamesvaul »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
(and please don't say stupidities because I've never seen a xp theme causing a display problem!!!! and this is not a display problem but it's a bug!).
I bet that I have seen much more than you in the 25 years I am working with computers, and having 2 IT stores
Don't call people or things stupid just because you don't have enough knowledge about things.

Since I never heard anyone else with this problem (at least it wasn't caused by avast), it is likely your system that is one way or another in error. If you like it or not, that is a fact.

You also have clearly told that it happens when doing things while avast is openend. This means it is not only avast doing this.

Already checked for newer display drivers?
Already checked the XP's log files?
Already checked avast's log file?
Already created a list of running applications/processes when this problem appears? < good way to find a course.
Disabled all not essential applications/processes to see if it makes a difference?

The catalyst manager is known to give problems. I suggest you remove/disable it and see if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:43:52 AM by Eddy »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
jamesvaul

In case it is not clear to you you are in a public forum, apparently seeking the assistance of other members of the forum. 

Your comments seem to indicate that you already believe yourself way more intelligent than those seeking to assist you.

If you wish to receive help then please respond in the way you would want to be treated in a social discourse.  If you wish to continue to be offensive then please continue in the splendid isolation you will deserve.

Eddy (and I) have made the effort and tried to reproduce your problem - unfortunately we have not been able to do so.  Earlier I asked another avast user, who appears to experience similar problems to you, to review your thread.  If we can establish that you are not alone with this issue we almost certainly have a better chance of determining the problem. 

We also have a better chance if you will continue to work with other members of the forum in the way of friends trying to help each other.