Author Topic: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Windows  (Read 21206 times)

jamesvaul

The catalyst manager is known to give problems. I suggest you remove/disable it and see if it makes a difference.

Have you read what I've written????
You continue to say stupidities.... and I've only installed the ATI Catalyst drivers ONLY

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Since you seem to know it all....

Amd since you are not respecting the rules of this webboard....

Well, with that attitude you better stay of the internet.
I doubt it if anyone here will even try to help you further.

jamesvaul

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:03:02 PM by jamesvaul »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Good luck.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
jamesvaul

sadly, I also must conclude that you just wish to be insulting - indeed I feel that it would be best for you to be suspended from the forum to cool down.

I doubt that it will cause you any concern but I shall no longer consider it appropriate to attempt to assist any posts under this username.  If you stay around I hope that other forum members may be more forgiving.

GeminiRose

Hi All!  I have this exact problem & it just showed up after an update but don't remember exact one.  It starts when I right click & try to start a scan.  It scans the memory, & states that it will now continue then nothing happens & I'm left with this strange blue rectangle thing that is what ever you have clicked on last. Like copy, start avast, cut whatever I restart, then it goes away until the next time I want to start it.  I just updated my graphics driver last nite, still happening, went into control panel, ad/remove & did a repair on avast & it worked wonderful for a couple of times, then boom here it came again.  I also uninstalled my firewall, then tried again, still got the rectangle leftover, then I uninstalled win patrol, still didn't work so don't know what else to do. I have pentium 4, XPhome, 2.80 GHz, 512  MB Ram 2.79 GHz  I also have Kerio Firewall, The avast home newest program offered, Spysweeper, Sp2 all updates are in, Win Patrol
I really think it has something to do with Avast but sure don't have an answer yet. I've never had a problem until just here lately. Hope someone has some answers.

GeminiRose

testy

What's going on here?  Lots of people are having the same crazy problem and we are all being told by the techs that its our graphics card or some other nonsense.  Sorry, If I remove Avast the problem goes away.  There are already several other posts about this same problem. 

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22669.0

This all started about a week or so ago. 

Linuxrevolt

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I can't believe people are saying its not Avast. It started right after the Avast Update.

Same windows left on desktop and they won't go away till I reboot. Uninstalled Avast 4.7 after trying uninstalls, reinstalls, repairs, etc.

Keeping an eye on these threads to see if this is resolved since I paid for 2yrs of updates.

Also uninstalled and reinstalled all ATI drivers.

XP Home SP2
ATI 6.7
Avast Pro 4.7
Kerio 4.3

I didn't uninstall Kerio because everytime I uninstall Avast I don't have the issue with the blue text windows staying open.

I also could not open the Advanced User Interface when I tried to. It would scan memory and then nothing would happen after that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:33:46 AM by Linuxrevolt »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I also could not open the Advanced User Interface when I tried to. It would scan memory and then nothing would happen after that.

Do you have any anti-spyware application installed?
What happens if you run ashEnhcd.exe from the avast! installation folder directly?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
I didn't uninstall Kerio because everytime I uninstall Avast I don't have the issue with the blue text windows staying open.
I think you better give it a try.
Uninstall Kerio, leave avast installed.
It will at least give more information, which may help to narrow down the culprit.

mouniernetwork

I've had this problem as well but I forgot how you take it out permenantly however I do remeber that if you right click on it it goes away. Just Google for the sollution.

MounierNetwork

mouniernetwork

Re: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Wind
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
Actually I did so research and the problem is indeed the ATI Graphics card which is not totaly up to date or only the catalist drivers are installed. If you want to resolve this problem you have to uninstall the catalist dirvers and any video card drivers and then run the windows hardware installer instead of using ATI's program to install the drivers. Then if you wish to install catalist install it after you installed the hardware with windows hardware manager.

Hope this help
And the problem is not avast but since I've had it I must agree that it looks like avast is involve and that when you uninstall it the problem goes away.

Please stay calm and reply if you have any more problems.

Al968

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Wind
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 12:47:53 AM »
So, it actually turned out to be a Kerio problem.
Anyway, you are welcome to test the new beta with a workaround.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 05:02:19 AM »
Are you sure it was kerio ??
I had never had kerio and I experienced this problem :o
Maybe an other program ;)
Thanks for the download  :)
No signs of bugs.. Looking good ;D

Al968
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:04:12 AM by al968 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2006, 05:06:21 AM »
Are you sure it was kerio ??
I had never had kerio and I experienced this problem :o
I had, in the past. I've changed to Comodo firewall, since then the problem is 'solved'...
The best things in life are free.