Author Topic: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Windows  (Read 21277 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Wind
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
Yes, quite sure. It's probably the HIPS module - not present in the free version of Kerio.

Umquad

Re: strange rectangles with words like "task manager" "copy" remains on top Wind
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2006, 03:15:44 PM »
For what it's worth, I have been having the same problem with exactly the same symptoms.  I do not have an ATI card and have never had Kerio installed.  It only (and always) occurs when I click on Avast systray context menu items, or on an Avast exe.  Right clicking, then left clicking the desktop will temporarily remove the lingering menu item image, but it continues to happen whenever any (not just Avast) menu item is selected, with only a reboot stopping it.  Menus display as very transparent - almost invisible - until you move the mouse around over the menu.  This has never started occurring at any other time other than when working with Avast.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
Are you using any other firewall then? Maybe it's just a Kerio rebrand...
BTW did you try installing the beta? If so, does it resolve the issue even in your case?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Umquad

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2006, 06:26:23 PM »
I have been using Ashampoo for the last few weeks and an older version of Sygate before that.  I'm sure I was having the problem while still using Sygate, but at the time was running scans now and then late at night, so the problem took care of itself when I shutdown afterwards.

I tried going to Comodo, but even though I'm fairly technical, I guess I'm not smart enough to handle it, because I can't even get connected to my ISP when I try to use it and it gives no indication what the problem might be, or even that there is a problem.

I saw the recommendation to try the beta, but wondered about stability.  I've learned over the years that "beta" has very different meaning to different developers.  This might be a good time to try it, because in trying to fix the problem by reinstalling Avast I ended up installing it in a different folder, so I had remnants left in several folders, with my firewall rules pointing to the wrong place, so Avast updates aren't working for me now.

jamesvaul

Oh my god!!!
This bug is re-appeared right now in the latest avast! 4.7.892: I just opened the log viewer and tried to select the elements in order to exports them and the elements selection didn't work!! I opened the task manager and closed it and the blue rectangle with word "task manager"remains on top of windows. So this bug is not completely resolved
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 08:22:14 PM by igor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Do you use any firewall?

jamesvaul

Do you use any firewall?

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4.3.268

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4.3.268
An old Kerio problem that *forced* me to go to Comodo  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
It is quite possible that the Log Viewer (unlike the main avast GUI or the Virus Chest) does not have the fix applied to it.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.