Author Topic: Connect a device to my account  (Read 5143 times)

Offline 27jacks27

Connect a device to my account
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
Hello,
 I can't seem to "add a first device" to my account as no email is being sent to me, though I have the correct email address registered?
Any ideas?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Connect a device to my account
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
What avast program do you need to add ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline 27jacks27

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »
I can't add any device, PC or andriod phone to my Avast premier account.
I wanted to sync my phone to PC (for my Passwords to sync) but it seems I have no devices added to my account yet.
I go to devices in MY Account and it says, Add First Device. (which I gather will be my PC) and I get promped to Download Avast Free Antivirus. So what the heck, I try that and it does nothing but add the Free version.
How do I add devices then?

Any help appreciated. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline 27jacks27

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
Hi Asyn,
Thanks for the link, but that's how I have finished up where I am; trying to add a device to my account. I get to step 5 of that link and shows all over because I don't have any devices added and can't add one? Can't self-authorise of anything?
Thanks for trying though.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
Hi 27jacks27,

I have checked the synchronization data we have under the email that you are registered to on this forum.

The problems you are seeing are caused by the fact that you have previously synced the devices back in 2016, but the Passwords system isn't recognizing them as the same devices (which usually happens when the Passwords app has been uninstalled at some point). This means that when you are trying to synchronize the devices, the system is expecting you to use one of the previously-synced devices to authorize it -which is impossible in this situation.

The options that we have to resolve this are:
  • Backup Email - When Passwords was set up, you were sent a backup email. If you can find this email, then you can use it to authorize the devices instead. The email was sent to you on 18th October 2016. You can find more information about how to do this (and a picture of the email) in the following guide: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/92
  • Sync group deletion - Delete the current passwords information and synchronization group and start again. This will wipe any saved passwords that you currently have in the synchronization group, but not those stored on your current un-synced device/s.
Please let me know if you were able to backup from the email, or if you wish to delete the synchronization group.

P.S. The list of devices in your Avast Account is unrelated to the synchronization process. It is only possible to see which devices are synchronized from within Passwords on a synchronized device.

Offline 27jacks27

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:03:05 AM »
Hi BWhit,
Yes my PC crashed about 6 months ago, would have taken Passwords down then.
Unfortunately I don't have that email either, so it looks like Sync group deletion is the only way. Or can I just make a csv file and transfer saved passwords to our android mobiles?

Thanks B

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »
Hi 27jacks27,

The sync group has been deleted for you now, so you should be able to sync the devices as if you were a new user again (please see this support article for step-by-step instructions if needed: https://support.avast.com/article/255/).

It is possible to create the csv file of your saved passwords from the PC app, but there is no way to import automatically from the csv file (so you would have manually enter the information on the Android apps). With the synchronization function, this will be done automatically. Additionally, any passwords that you might add in future will also be shared between the devices automatically instead of requiring you to add the passwords on each device separately.