Author Topic: Please Help Me Remove Avast From My Computer  (Read 2576 times)

Offline paul.pendleton

Please Help Me Remove Avast From My Computer
« on: April 13, 2019, 10:17:50 PM »
I first installed Avast into Firefox to scan my computer for viruses after first disabling AVG Free Antivirus.  Then I installed the free version of AVAST Antivirus and subsequently uninstalled it and then ran Avast Clear, v19.4.4318.0 10MB Dated 4/12/2019 6:40 PM. from Safe Mode.  Using Search Everything in Safe Mode, I found that Avast was actually installed in Program Files\Common Fiies\Avast Software, changed the cleaner so it would detect and clean this location and left the Program Data\Avast Software setting untouched.  After I rebooted back into Windows 10 Home, I again ran Search Everything and found 8 or 9 .cat entries with avast in them.  Subsequently, when I ran AVG Antivirus, an avast popup asked me to enter my password to AVG Free.  I used Search Everything to find that an avast .dll with the name streamback_avast.dll had gotten into my AVG Antivirus. Despite the fact I am normally cautious on the internet, I may have picked up some malware.  I found some avast containing .cat files with the word Policy in them contained in my windows SXS folder.  I booted into safe mode, copied and pasted the AVG intruder into an administrative Dos prompt in Safe Mode.  I started with MSCONFIG and successfully deleted it using the del command.  I used Search Everything and only the 8 or 9 .cat entries remained.  In Program Data, after rebooting, I found the folder Persistent and the folder logs and avast.  The Avast AVG enter password is now back in my Free AVG but the streamback_avast.dll isn't back.  Help Help
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:24:40 PM by paul.pendleton »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Please Help Me Remove Avast From My Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
If I understand you correctly, If you install a second security software antivirus while running an anti-virus already you can expect nothing but problems.
I don't have an experience such as this however if it were me, I would uninstall everything (Avast&AVG) and do a clean install of the ONE product you want. :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Please Help Me Remove Avast From My Computer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
+1

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211973.0

When posting, try to break up your post using paragraphs.  Run-ons are harder to read.   ;)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801