Author Topic: Avast! Didn't See All Of This  (Read 4735 times)

wendy k. walker

Avast! Didn't See All Of This
« on: July 28, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »
Hi Guys!

I'm not complaining about Acast! here but I am wondering about why it hasn't been seeing all of this stuff.

I was reading a thread earlier today and ran across a mention of a product named "Xoftspy" so after researching it on spyware worrier I rushed on off to download it.

When I ran it I was amazed at what it came back with. As almost everything was in one folder I scanned that folder with Avast! and  Ewido, both of which came back clean.

So can you guys tell me if any of this *points down* stuff is something that I need to worry about?And if it is, what the heck should I do with it?

Thanks,
♥ Wendy

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:19:15 AM by wendy k. walker »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Didn't See All Of This
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:12:29 AM »
I don't doubt that neither avast or ewido will detect anything as it isn't a virus, but a user downloaded anti-spyware program

Your inspection of http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm wasn't very through as it was previously listed but now de-listed. Me I'm the suspicious type and wouldn't have anything to do with listed/previously listed software as there really are plenty of alternatives out there that weren't ever listed. In fact there is a Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products link http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy

Me personally I would get rid of xoftspy and use some of the programs on the trusworthy list.
Or these which are regularly suggested as a minimum all freeware:
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 02:50:21 AM »
I was reading a thread earlier today and ran across a mention of a product named "Xoftspy" so after researching it on spyware worrier I rushed on off to download it.
Not to disapoint you but...

Note on XoftSpy:  XoftSpy was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives (1, 2, 3, 4), questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2), including exploitation of the name "spybot" by affiliates. Earlier versions of XoftSpy were also Ad-aware knockoffs. (There was clone of XoftSpy named SpyBurn, but that application is no longer available.) Over the past few months, XoftSpy has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising), revised its license text, and released a new version of XoftSpy (version 4.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard XoftSpy as "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.

Domains: paretologic.com (Note: other domains associated with XoftSpy include: adware-destroyer.com, adware-elimination.com, adwarekillers.com, adware-real-free-scan.com, adwares.net, anti-adware.net, antispywares.com, deletespyware.net, nomorespyware.net, removespyware.net, softspy.net, softwho.com, spywarebest.com, spyware-detection.net, spywareprof.com, spywarepurge.com, spywarerem.com, spywareremoval.net) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 12-7-04]

So, false positives could be the problem here... (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note).
Did you try www.ewido.net  ???
The best things in life are free.

TAP

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 03:05:52 AM »
As far as I've seen, McAfee is probably the only antivirus that detects Viewpoint as Potentially Unwanted Program, but as its name says, it's potentially unwanted program, not a virus.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 06:30:05 AM »
Hi Everyone, thanks for replying guys.

Yep, I did seem to miss that part about it having been listed, and then del-isted. I think that I'll just delete that program from my system.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your input.

♥ Wendy

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 09:35:38 AM »
XoftSPy has been on the rogue list for a long time. Do NOT trust the results:

Note on XoftSpy:  XoftSpy was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives (1, 2, 3, 4), questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2), including exploitation of the name "spybot" by affiliates. Earlier versions of XoftSpy were also Ad-aware knockoffs. (There was clone  of XoftSpy named SpyBurn, but that application is no longer available.)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »
Hi wendy k. walker,

Eddy is right here, XoftSPy is to be considered  coming with adware at least.
Read about this questionable program, and why it was not taken off  the rogue-list here:
http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000014.html

To Eddy. They claim XoftSPY is not the old program anymore, and turned more decent.
SpywareGuide does not list it anymore. I question why, some they could
not flag any longer because of lawsuits. I would not like to give it the green
light now, like Spyware Warrior does. A fox gets older, but in most cases
does not loose his tricks, as we say in Holland.

Whenever you use removal programs, you should check their reliability.
I think Eddy is a good source to ask whenever in doubt,
and there are some more of these sources here on the forum.
Using foistware can cost you the stability of your computer, and sometimes even worse.

polonus
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:16:40 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

wendy k. walker

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:14:59 PM »
Hi Eddy, and polonus, Thanks for your comments. No I didn't trust it from the time that I found out that spyware warrior had had it in the no good list.

Foxes never forget their old tricks, they just learn new ways to get into the hen house.

I used the windows add/remove thing to remove it from my system, is there anything else that I should do to make sure that I have wiped it out?

Thanks,
Wendy

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 10:37:45 PM »
Hi wendy k. walker,

Yes wendy, you did it all according to the book. This is just the foistware type of malware, that means that it is trying to scare you in buying their crap. And that is what most malware is about these days, to rip people of what is in their purses - money.
Never download a thing before checking on it, use McAfeeSiteAdvisor in your browser, the Netcraft anti-phishing toolbar, search with Google or with www.scandoo.com, and leave the insecure sites for what they are, swamp ground and malware ridden or full of evil script. That is why I advise people to browse in Firefox or Flock (last version) with the NoScript add-on activated.

I wish you many a malware free Internet day,

polonus

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:40:05 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

wendy k. walker

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 12:06:12 AM »
Hi polonus, Thanks for the update there. I rushed off and downloaded that scandoo tool bar, thanks for the link.

Hey, whats that HJT alert thing about in your signature?

♥ Wendy