Author Topic: Shows popup "You have been protected by Avast antivirus"  (Read 22390 times)

Offline Yile

Re: Shows popup "You have been protected by Avast antivirus"
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
Hi gyus,
yes this is an experiment, partially replacing the "Your virus database has been updated" toaster that some users liked as an assurance that avast is running and protecting them. Thanks for your feedback. It is shown after restart, max once every 24 hours.

Long time user of Avast (since Avast was the product and Alwil was the company ;D ) and I made a forum account with the sole purpose of saying that I loathe this new pop-up. For some reason it's very slow to close for me in comparison to any other Avast pop-up and I also just simply don't find it useful at all. So please put this one humble user down into the "Do not want" feedback pile.  8)

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
Hi gyus,
yes this is an experiment, partially replacing the "Your virus database has been updated" toaster that some users liked as an assurance that avast is running and protecting them. Thanks for your feedback. It is shown after restart, max once every 24 hours.

Thanks Martin
Experimenting is never a bad thing however, replacing something that was simple, direct and useful with something confusing and redundant is a questionable strategy. :)

+1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
Hi gyus,

Long time user of Avast (since Avast was the product and Alwil was the company ;D ) and I made a forum account with the sole purpose of saying that I loathe this new pop-up. For some reason it's very slow to close for me in comparison to any other Avast pop-up and I also just simply don't find it useful at all. So please put this one humble user down into the "Do not want" feedback pile.  8)

See my Reply #11 above
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=226337.msg1500433#msg1500433
Now that we know the supposed purpose of this relates to the Update popup category (not INFO as I thought), you could try dropping the Update popup time to 3 seconds as in the attached image if the same reply.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 12:47:35 AM »
Hi gyus,yes this is an experiment, partially replacing the "Your virus database has been updated" toaster that some users liked as an assurance that avast is running and protecting them. Thanks for your feedback. It is shown after restart, max once every 24 hours.

I have seen this a couple times and have tried to capture it. I have settings configured to NOT see anything from Avast unless it finds malware.

Still annoying with the unnecessary intrusions. I don't pay you to intrude upon my computer.

Beta is for experimenting.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:59:40 AM by Charyb »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 04:14:46 AM »
+1  Which is where this sort of thing should be introduced/deployed, in Beta only.  Beta first, OEM second.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762) UI version 1.0.797

Offline davews

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
I saw this a few days earlier in the week after booting up my computer but not seen it in the last couple. As others say it is pointless and confusing.

Offline stibi

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »
It's a real nonsense message.
And whe I read "yes this is an experiment" I can only shake my head.

###### Have these Avast guys no real work to do? #####

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
AVAST marketing still have not understood how annoying these sorts of things can be - we're using your product, we're, usually, happy with your product but we do not need reminding at any time that it is doing its job, regularly or otherwise. If it was not we would not be happy and tell you so.

Could you imagine the hell using a computer would be if every time you booted up every auto-run or program in start-up put out a message that it was doing its job. It does not bear thinking about.

Quiet, unobtrusive, effective protection is what users want. It should be AVAST's aim and stated aim too. That is what will convince new users to try it and maybe sign up for the full package.

What do they think a potential new AVAST user reading about this is more likely to do as a result, install it or choose another AV?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 02:23:27 PM »
(Smip)
What do they think a potential new AVAST user reading about this is more likely to do as a result, install it or choose another AV?
If you choose your AV for the protection it provides, you'll still choose Avast.
Having said that, it doesn't change the fact that the popup is annoying and not at all helpful.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline fishswimthesea

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »
Just wanted to add my vote to get rid of this thing.
Avast Free Antivirus - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
I have now also started getting these uncessary and annoying toaster popups each and every restart and have to "X" the thing.
IMO the devs experiment has suceeded only to annoy Avast users.
+1 vote to get rid of it please.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 05:16:16 PM »
The popup does not serve any purpose, as it contains no useful information and most are going to take it as like a house ad. Add my vote to change back to the virus database has been updated popup
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »

I just witnessed it again. It just doesn't matter if you are a paying customer or not. Unfortunately, I have 966 days left on my subscription.

This is the same discussion year after year regarding this company's decision to place unwanted ads, banners, popups, etc. onto a computer that isn't theirs. Pathetic, annoying, obtrusive.....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:56:03 PM by Charyb »

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
With Next Version of Windows 10 Coming in less than a month, highly considering just dropping Avast Free and using Windows Defender on all the systems,  I know might not be a good choice, but these pathetic popups, and such starting to get to me a little bit,   I know the developers and folks that make the software need to get money and such.

But where is the point draw the line, and not have a silly popup that keeps saying protected by Avast Free Antivirus,  Hello we willingly installed it for the protection it provides,  whats gonna happen when this gets out to 3rd party reviewers,  most likely start turning folks away from Avast.   

Heck youtube PC techs already don't recommend Avast Free, a few other forums don't,   my local PC shop doesn't, but yet I keep using it and hopefully it goes back to quiet self, but I don't know anymore if I made right decision reinstalling after my 1809 clean install in December,  another coming up soon to cleanup before 1903...highly debating not reinstalling it then
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:37:42 PM by Patrick2 »
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
Are you actually seeing this on Avast version 19.1.2360, I thought this came in with 19.3.xxxx (could be wrong on that) ?

Given the excellent (NOT) response to this completely useless, uninformative, nonsense popup, that is an experiment.  I would hope it is considered a failed experiment and is removed as suddenly as it appeared.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security