Author Topic: OT: recycle Old Computers  (Read 16141 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
OT: recycle Old Computers
« on: January 13, 2004, 12:05:42 AM »
 What exactly happens to computers when you recycle them?
 I would like to recycle my old gateway laptop. I purchased a new Dell laptop today and am waiting for it to be shipped. ( check my signature for specs )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:57:50 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

Re:OT: recycle Old Computers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 01:55:52 AM »
DO NOT recycle that "monster in a small". Give it to me MacLover and I'll tell ya what exactly happens to those computers... they kill them, that's for sure. I won't kill him, I'll adopt him... I'll love him, I'll feed him, I'll call him "my love"...

Just give it to me...  Please ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:56:52 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 02:02:20 AM »
gladly but note one tiny thing. its my old gateway not my G5
(G5 is MINE ALL MINE  :P) Sent you an email about it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 02:19:06 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 02:04:04 AM »
they kill them
I know that. I mean do they recycle the chips, plastic etc?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 03:24:47 AM »
Sorry, but no mail in my inbox... you sure you have right address ?

gladly but note one tiny thing. its my old gateway not my G5
(G5 is MINE ALL MINE  :P) Sent you an email about it.

No matter, I would really enjoy to have and use anything that is connected even by it's name to Mac... I know that you are not crazy to give away something that is Mega-Turbo-Giga-Super wonderful "G5"... maybe I'll earn some money one day and I'll buy myself G5 for my birthday, hehe...

No really, don't destroy that machine. It can be of very good use to somebody who can not afford it... money is always an issue, right ?

MacLover2000 wrote:
I know that. I mean do they recycle the chips, plastic etc?

They recycle every single part of the computer, but I'm not sure what do they do with power supplies. Also, I've heard that chips are very toxic and must be destroyed very carefully...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 03:26:03 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 06:20:29 AM »
This is not an off topic thread.  Is that what OT means?  This is the right forum for general topics.

Donate working old computers to small churches and kids that need them and so forth.  Personally, I still have one part left from my first Windows computer and that is the floppy drive.  Over the years everything has been replaced.  I've grown very fond and sentimental over that floppy drive though I can't remember the last time I used it.

My first computer (non Windows) was a Radio Shack Tandy 1000HX with a 16 color monitor without a hard drive.  Ran on DOS 2.2.  It had dual floppy drives.  One for the program being run (Lotus Symphony and ExpressCheck mainly) and the other to store data.  I'm talking the 720k floppy variety.  It got me through the first two years of college and personal finance stuff.  I gave that to a plumber friend so he can learn how to type.  I don't think he was ever able to figure out how to use it.  I want it back but I can't find the sorry SOB so I can be an Indian-giver.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 06:29:21 AM by Culpeper »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 03:06:56 PM »
That brought me back in time... my first personal computer was a Sinclair's ZX Spectrum 48Kb... that was little dragon. I learned everything about BASIC. Second one was Atari 130 XE, then Commodore 64, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, PC 486 DX, after 486 comes Intel Celeron 533MhZ and now I use this AMD Athlon Xp 1700+... nothing fancy, but more than enough for what I'm doing... I just bought additional 256 Mb DDRAM, so now it has 512 Mb and one unused 128 Mb DDRAM plate (Mother board has only two slots for DDRAM and 2 slots for SDRAM, so I had to plug that 128 Mb plate out to be able to put 256 instead)... I must find where I can exchange that 128 MB DDRAM plate for some more SDRAM...

BTW, Culpeper... Do you like this one:

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 03:21:37 PM »
 :o ;D

Aye!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 03:53:08 PM »
I forgot to tell ya... YOU CAN HAVE IT... anyway, it was yours before I made some changes, hehe  ;D

Cheers!

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 11:23:31 PM »
I've heard that chips are very toxic and must be destroyed very carefully
Exactly why I didnt want to just put it in the dump  ;D

Culpepper OT meas Off Topic like you said. I put that there to warn pavel, Vlk ,pk

Now for the Fate of the gateway. It will not be taken apart by me. Im going to donate it to my curch (their computers are Power Macs with 233Mhz processors)

Sasha your computer is MUCH faster than that gateway  ;)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 11:30:41 PM »
My dell just showed up (thank god for overnight shipping!!)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 11:53:10 PM by MacLover2000 »

Culpeper

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 12:11:47 AM »
Mac AND Windows :o

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 12:18:28 AM »
Mac AND Windows

Yea I know Its a dream! And I got them the macs 5 years ago for $350 each through MacWorld ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 12:49:02 AM »
Culpeper ? You don't need that Avatar I made for you ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 12:49:29 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Culpeper

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 12:51:44 AM »
Yeah ;D  I think it's super.  I'm saving it for later.