Author Topic: Email Scan Went Kaput!  (Read 6375 times)

SamG

Email Scan Went Kaput!
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:52:57 AM »
I am running Win98SE. 
I am using Avast home 4.7.844.
Avast recently (within the last week) updated itself. I don't know if it was just the virus database or the entire program.  This morning, while checking my email, I got the familiar "server not found" error (it was looking to 127.0.0.1).  In the past rebooting the computer would fix the problem.  Not this time.  After a reboot, I would get four pop up error messages from Avast saying something like "Inbound email will not be protected.  Error: 10093".  I'd get similar messages for outbound messages and I don't know what whatelse, but the error message was all the same.

Going to the Avast control panel and looking at the Outlook/Exchange provider, there was a message saying "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start".    I tried terminating the provider, and trying to use my email to no avail (still the server 127.0.0.1 error).  I uninstalled Avast, rebooted, downloaded Avast again, rebooted, went through the settup screens, and guess what... EMAIL STILL DOESN'T WORK!

I have tried repairing the (brand new) installation of Avast and guess what... EMAIL STILL DOESN'T WORK!  Do I sound frustrated?  I wonder why?

I've been happy with Avast for the last year or two and even recommended it to a number of people.  Can someone please tell me what the problem is so I can actually check my email?

Thank you

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Email Scan Went Kaput!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:58:50 AM »
Run the mail protection wizzard and see if that solves it.

Tell us what email client you are using.
Do you have the latest Winsock installed?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:01:46 AM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »
If you are using MS Outlook, not express:
Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled in MS Outlook:
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SamG

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:34:35 AM »
Run the mail protection wizzard and see if that solves it.

Do you have the latest Winsock installed?

I ran the mail protection wizzard. 
I tried "removing" protection, then "starting" protection with still no luck.
I tried "removing" protection, then doing a "manual" start with no luck.

I'm using Outlook Express 6.

What is the latest winsock and how do I install it (there's no microsoft support for win98 now)?

Thank you.
SamG

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »
What email client are you using and which version of Windows?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

SamG

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »
What email client are you using and which version of Windows?
As I wrote earlier... Outlook Express 6 is my email, and Win98SE is my OS.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:00:36 PM »
Run the mail protection wizard and see if that solves it.

<Snip>
<Snip>

Then you don't need Outlook/Exchange provider, this is for MS Outlook (not OE6) or MS Exchange. The message "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start," is waiting for MS Outlook to start and it never will if you don't use it. Terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider if you don't use MS Outlook.

Having both outlook/exchange and the internet mail provider (for all other pop3 email clients except MS Outlook/Exchange) may possibly be having an effect. Once you terminate the outlook/exchange provider reboot and see if you are back to normal, if not I suggest you repeat the Mail Protection Wizard exercise you did.

I also suggest a browse of the avast! help file to help you get a better knowledge of avast and get the best out of it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SamG

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »
Run the mail protection wizard and see if that solves it.

<Snip>
<Snip>

Then you don't need Outlook/Exchange provider, this is for MS Outlook (not OE6) or MS Exchange. The message "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start," is waiting for MS Outlook to start and it never will if you don't use it. Terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider if you don't use MS Outlook.

Having both outlook/exchange and the internet mail provider (for all other pop3 email clients except MS Outlook/Exchange) may possibly be having an effect. Once you terminate the outlook/exchange provider reboot and see if you are back to normal, if not I suggest you repeat the Mail Protection Wizard exercise you did.
Thanks.  I'll try that when I get home.

I also suggest a browse of the avast! help file to help you get a better knowledge of avast and get the best out of it.
It's just frustrating when something's been working for a while and then it stops.  I think I did go through the help file yesterday, but couldn't find much pointing to troubleshooting... most of it seemed "here's how to set it up", but not what to do when the setup doesn't work. :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:43:51 PM »
By looking at what the Providers do would have shown Outlook/Exchange wasn't the one you should be using.

Quote from: extract avast! help file
Outlook/Exchange - Provider Settings

This setting affects MS Outlook and MS Exchange mail clients only. For setting up the other mail clients, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc., see Internet Mail Provider.

SamG

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 02:52:40 AM »
I apologize.  I finally got the problem fixed and it was not with Avast! at all.  It was another improvement I had tried to make to my computer and forgot about.   :-[

I'm sorry I let my frustration get the better of me.

Count me as another happy Avast customer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 01:13:41 PM »
Glad that the problem is resolved, care to let us know what this other improvement was ?
Should this or similar happen to another user we might remember it if for the future.

A belated welcome to the forums.

SamG

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 03:37:21 AM »
Sure.  I was trying to settup printer sharing so I could print from my laptop when I bring it home from work.  I went to Network properties (keep in mind my home comp is Win98), and added the service for "File & Printer share for Microsoft Network".

Didn't work right away and didn't have time to troubleshoot it then, but I removed it the other night and email totally worked afterwards.  I also removed the NetBeaui (sp) stuff and some VPN adaptors I had installed a couple years ago, but the problem arose after I installed the sharing service.   

I just hadn't tried to check email until Sunday morning, so the changes I had tried Saturday morning went right out of my head.

Hard to believe I do IT support at work, huh?  :-[ ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 03:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure it may help others, if for not other reason than to make them think what you have done in the recent past that might have an effect. Tough work IT support, even more so remotely by phone or a forum ;D

Stick around, your knowledge could be very helpful to other avast users.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 01:33:37 PM »
Hard to believe I do IT support at work, huh?
Indeed, very hard to believe. :D
I hope noone needs your support ;D

Take care, and if you have a problem with avast!, you know where to find the real support people

(/kidding mode off)