Author Topic: the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". How to fix this?  (Read 10115 times)

bearmelt

the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". How to fix this?
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:08:13 PM »
I have avast! 4.7 free version.  I followed the instructions from support/FAQ:

If the service cannot be started, your avast! installation might be corrupted. Try repairing the avast! installation: click START -> CONTROL PANEL -> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS -> avast! Antivirus -> CHANGE/REMOVE and select REPAIR.

Cannot select REPAIR.  When I click on CHANGE/REMOVE, nothing happens.  No REPAIR option is displayed.

I am using a router (Netgear).  Another FAQ/support said to change the proxy settings (I am using automatically detect).  I do not know what setting to list.  I know my IP address, but not which port to use.  Thanx.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". How to fix this?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 11:13:15 PM »
Run the following command:
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setiface.dll",RunSetup

At the bottom should be the 'Repair' option...
The proxy is not your IP. Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy). Left click the avast icon > Settings > Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:14:33 PM »
I've forgot... you can click the buttom 'Proxy' at that window too...
And, do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?

bearmelt

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »
how do I run that command?  I copy/pasted it into RUN, but nothing happened.  I do not have any other AV.  That is why I am concerned.  avast! will not start, so I am unprotected.  How do you get to that illustration?  Should I uninstall/reinstall?  avast! cannot find a server.

bearmelt

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »
OK, I went here manually:  "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setiface.dll".  I got a caution message, but if I still want to open the dll file, what do I open it with?  When I let windows choose, it goes to this address, but it opens a blank window: http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?Ext=dll

I would prefer not to change my proxy settings or mess around with anything I don't know.

bearmelt

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 12:02:24 AM »
I tried changing fro auto detect to no proxy, as I am directly connected via cable modem.  I stil get "cannot connect to server susing these settings.  Please change proxy server settings and test again.  I am not set to 'work offline.'  this is a home PC, XP.  I am the only user.  Never had a problem starting avast! before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:09:16 AM »
how do I run that command?  I copy/pasted it into RUN, but nothing happened.
Which is your avast installation path, where did you install it?

I do not have any other AV.
Did you have in the past?

How do you get to that illustration?
Running the command I've posted... or using Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove.
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
The screenshot was taked by: WinSnap application (http://www.ntwind.com/software/winsnap.html)

Should I uninstall/reinstall?
Maybe it helps...

avast! cannot find a server.
Do you mean you can't connect the Internet?

I would prefer not to change my proxy settings or mess around with anything I don't know.
You won't mess if you set 'No proxy'. Click on buttom 'Test connection' and you'll have to see what you get...

bearmelt

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 12:23:41 AM »
how do I run that command?  I copy/pasted it into RUN, but nothing happened.
Which is your avast installation path, where did you install it?

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setiface.dll

I do not have any other AV.
Did you have in the past?

Yes, but it is disabled now.  I have had avast! only for a year or two with no problems.  Is it running now?  It just cannot update?

How do you get to that illustration?
Running the command I've posted... or using Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove.
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
The screenshot was taked by: WinSnap application (http://www.ntwind.com/software/winsnap.html)

I tried this.  No popup appears.  I click change/remove and nothing happens.  I disabled pop-up blockers.

Should I uninstall/reinstall?
Maybe it helps...

Cannot.  How?

avast! cannot find a server.
Do you mean you can't connect the Internet?

I am connected.  avast! apparently cannot connect to a server.

You won't mess if you set 'No proxy'. Click on buttom 'Test connection' and you'll have to see what you get...

I did this too.  Tested both ways.  Same response.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 03:46:48 AM »
I did this too.  Tested both ways.  Same response.
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation (read http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html)
4. Boot
5. Install again by this command on the folder you've donwload and save the install file: setupeng.exe /forceinstall
    Where setupeng.exe is the name of the executable

Spiritsongs

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 07:38:46 AM »
 :) Hi Bear :

SOMETIMES a RPC Error can be "corrected" by running the
    "DCOMbobulator" from www.grc.com/dcom !?

bearmelt

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 07:17:52 PM »
Tech:  Thanx so much!  The uninstall/reinstall worked.  Still do not understand what happened or why I could not reach anything from change/remove, even after i unblocked popups.

Virus Scan found 2 viruses when the new 4.7 booted.  They were in system, so I was afraid to delete them.  i moved them to the chest.  Is that sufficient?

Virus name: Win32:Zlob-CP [Trj]
Original file location: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{89E8EA9D-9964-4249-86B7-B463AFF354A3}\RP513\A0230314.exe

Spiritsongs:  Thanx, I'll try that next time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 07:22:34 PM »
I moved them to the chest.  Is that sufficient?
Most probably but...

Virus name: Win32:Zlob-CP [Trj]
Original file location: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{89E8EA9D-9964-4249-86B7-B463AFF354A3}\RP513\A0230314.exe
... files on this folder could 'come back'...
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you should:

1) Disable System Restore on Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405
2) Clean your temporary files.
3) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.
4) Use a-squared or ewido (trojan removers).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 08:38:22 PM »
The c:\System Volume Information folder is a part of the system restore function and as such is protected by windows, the only way to clean infected _restore points is to disable system restore and reboot. This will clear ALL _restore points. Once you have disabled system restore, reboot, scan your PC again and if clear enable system restore.

This will stop an infected restore point being restored if you later use system restore to a point that includes the infection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 08:41:27 PM »
 :)  Hi Bear :

Anything with "Zlob" in it has a high probability of being a
      SmitRem "infection", requiring the use of the SmitFraudfix
      program; this program is usually used under the guidance
      of Experts on antiSPYWARE forums, and  I recommend the Ad-Aware  "unofficial" Support forums
     at www.landzdown.com .