Author Topic: Problems with Veeam Backup Restore / Avast Firewall  (Read 1852 times)

Offline LevArris

Problems with Veeam Backup Restore / Avast Firewall
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
Dear Sirs,
I registered only for the purpose to tell you about this Problem.
I'm owner of Avast Internet Security.

I'm using Veeam Endpoint Backup as Backup solution. If you not heard of them (can't believe it ;-)  ) the are won of the leading Backup Solutions in Big Business and offer kindly a compact version for free to end users.

I spend serveral hours to get the restore mechanisms running. My Backup-Target is a Synology NAS.
I searched a lot of (official) forums.

I whitelisted all recommended Paths in Avast
I made a Firewall rule which shoud set Communication between the NAS and my Client completely free of any rules.

The communication always worked. I coul acess the share, chose the Backupfile. But loading it crashed and crashed and crashed.

According to the Error it has to do with the RPC Handling / Service.

The only solution to fix that problem is to deactivate Avast Firewall and rely on the pure M$-Solution.
I don't think this is in your interest.

So i want to reccommend that you built in a solution for Veeam or at least make a FAQ how to handle this...

Sincerely

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Problems with Veeam Backup Restore / Avast Firewall
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
Is your firewall network profile in puplic or private mode?

if puplic, try cange to private and reboot .... did that fix it?

Setting up Firewall Application Rules in Avast Antivirus
https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Antivirus-Firewall-Application-Rules

=================================================================

NOTE:The Network profiles control the settings which determine how strictly Firewall protects your PC.

Private: a lower level of security suitable for when your PC is connected to a trusted network such as your home or work network.
This profile enables better connectivity, and permits all communication within the network.

Public: a higher level of security suitable for when your PC is connected to a public network such as in a cafe or airport.
Because public networks present greater security risks, no incoming communication is permitted when this profile is set.

=================================================================

Offline LevArris

Re: Problems with Veeam Backup Restore / Avast Firewall
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
@Pondus:
yes, this did it! Thanks for that (quick) help.

But this was not exactly the point. I wanted my FW to be "sharp"  ;) 
And in all other cases it worked well for years.

And with MS-Firewall in public all worked perfect too.

I stay in private mode now, because I don't want to fiddle with serveral solutions while I can have all in one hand.
And while I can see what avast does with a lot of Apps and Games in the FW Rules-Section I'm pretty sure, it would not be too hard for Avast to handle Veeam EB as well automatically.

And we all know, that the combination of FW, AV AND Backup is the holy grail in terms of End-User Security ( next to intelligent awareness of the Layer 8  ::) ;) )

So, thanks again and have a nice day

Best regards