Author Topic: Avast seems to be blocking incoming connections to Apache Web Server  (Read 2975 times)

Offline aajax

I occasionally do some testing that utilizes an Apache Web Server.  This might be the first time on a Win7 computer that is running Avast Free Antivirus (AFA).  After spending a good bit of time verifying that Windows Firewall was configured properly I decided to experiment by starting that Win7 computer without AFA.  Apache worked fine after making that fairly simple change.  I think the AFA setup is showing that whatever firewall feature might be available is not present.  Can someone explain this finding?

I'd also point out that I wasn't able to find what I'd call an intended way to turn off (shutdown, stop, etc.) AFA.  Is that just showing my ignorance or is that intended?  I think this is an example of a very normal situation where such would be desired.  All manner of other troubleshooting would seem to also create this need.  It ended up requiring what I'd call an unnatural technique.  What does Avast suggest for accomplishing such?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast seems to be blocking incoming connections to Apache Web Server
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 07:22:01 PM »
Provide details...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:30:08 PM »
Hi Aajax!

First, you can disable the product by right-clicking the tray icon and choosing to disable the shields under Avast Shields control - for example disabling until next reboot.

Avast Free does not have a firewall component per say, but it does include web traffic scanning. As Asyn mentions you will need to provide more details about the Apache issue for us to be of much assistance.

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline aajax

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 04:42:11 AM »
The problem of course is lack of details.  Does it help if I add that when trying to access a website from another computer the browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and IE) all come back and say they cannot establish a connection with the designated server.  When the target computer that is hosting Apache is booted up without Avast running (i.e., no other change) everything works as expected.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »
Have you done any experimentation with exclusions? Perhaps exclude the Apache processes?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay