Author Topic: An error has occured while attemptin to update!  (Read 7790 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: An error has occured while attemptin to update!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
it was perfectly working fine until yesterday, now i cant accses in the computer couse its blocking,
Two points, do you mean blocking or locking-up freezing for a time ? and yesterday being the 9th, the above entries from the Log Viewer (info section) don't appear to be related to this problem as they are earlier than the 9th. Are there any related entries in the 'Program Run' tab,  Errors or Warnings section of the Log Viewer ?

Did you try what Tech suggested, uninstall, reboot, run avast uninstall utility, reboot, re-install ?

Whilst you system conforms to the minimum specification for avast (see below), such a low specification is going to slow XP greatly and as you add more programs and run them the cumulative minimum specification, either needs to be higher or your system will run slower. I think you will always be juggling this on a low performance system spec.
For a computer running Windows® 2000/XP® Workstation (Not Server):
Pentium class Processor, 64MB RAM (128MB recommended) and 50 MB of free hard disk space

As you can see the minimum for win2k is the same although it may have a lower minimum spec for the OS. Personally I don't think you would get much benefit from such a switch and a loss in the additional security with the older OS.

I don't wish to sound harsh but I wouldn't advise you try Linux it isn't such a user friendly environment when compared to Windows and neither is setting up avast under Linux. So I suggest you browse the avast 4 Linux/Unix forum and see what you could be in for.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SNOWHITE

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 04:47:52 PM »
Hi David, when i say blocking i mean the computer freezes with working and i have to reset to make the computer work again, wich is what happend when i was updating the avast.The above entries from the Log Viewer are the last one and there are no other entries, by the way i dont think that avast is cousing the computer to freezes.I use avast for almost a year with this computer and so far exept one earlier "unknown error" i had no problems and i just love this antivirus.This computer is operated by two systems Win98, and XP, it is slow but it was not freezing, i also had installed Ewido for one month but it was not freezing.
You dont sound harsh, I am aware of the Linux not friendly usage...  :P
I am planning to unninstall the avast as Tech suggested, unninstall the XP, install Windows2000 install Tiny Personal Firewall insted of ZoneAlarm and install Avast... ::) Maybe sounds not very clever but i dont have more ideas what to do.lol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 05:28:40 PM »
I would say this is looking like a resources issue, your system with a Pentium-MMX CPU at 200Mhz  really is starting to creak. The fact that you have had no problems with avast for a year or so, but as you continually add programs yo will have to ensure that only essential programs run on boot and others are opened when required and closed promptly when not in use. If you are able to have your CPU updated in the existing system or increase the RAM that should help with the resources.

I would suggest you don't get rid of winXP but do the reinstall of avast as set out by Tech and then try the uninstall of ZA (possibly even before the uninstall of avast) and install and try the Tiny firewall in an environment you are familiar with.

Taking too many steps when trying to find a fault/cause will certainly leave you in the dark as to the true cause so I suggest you do this:
1. Download and save Tiny personal firewall.
2. Uninstall Zone Alarm and reboot.
3. Install Tiny personal firewall and reboot.
4. See if these actions have helped the situation, if not then do the reinstall of avast.

The above is much quicker (no removal of XP, format if required, any dual boot changes, etc. along with installing and old OS) and as I said going to win2k won't make much difference to any potential resource issues, I think it is a backward step.

Edit: After thought: What is the sensitivity of Standard Shield, Normal, etc. ?
When the freeze happens does the mouse pointer have an egg timer icon and does the pointer freeze also ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:32:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SNOWHITE

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 05:51:52 PM »
Edit: After thought: What is the sensitivity of Standard Shield, Normal, etc. ?

The sensitivity of the Standard Shield was set up on high, and now(yesterday or a day before) i have set it up on normal couse its less slowing the computer

When the freeze happens does the mouse pointer have an egg timer icon and does the pointer freeze also ?

When the freeze happens the mouse pointer does not have an egg timer and it freezes too.The keyboard does not work too.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 06:37:37 PM »
Setting the sensitivity to Normal (the default setting) should help.

The freeze like this could be caused by many things as this google search shows http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=screen+freezes, some of those hits, http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1097847153, http://www.topcc.org/articles/screenfreezes.html

SNOWHITE

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 07:06:41 PM »
Ok, David thanks for your help :) i will do some researches and i hope to find what is cousing the problem.Thanks for everything!!! ;)