Author Topic: Corrupted ZIP Archives  (Read 3082 times)

Offline CTWarmbrodt

Corrupted ZIP Archives
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:23:23 AM »
I apologize if this is something I've already brought up before, and I'm positive the topic in itself has been brought up before, but should we at all be worried about corrupted ZIP archives when doing boot-time scans?  Even if we shouldn't, is there any way to get rid of corrupted ZIP archives?  If so, what is the best way to do it?

For your convenience, I have the full paths of some of such archives I was able to take screenshots of during the boot-time scan:

C:\Program_Files_(x86)\Microsoft_Office\root\Templates\1033\RedAndBlackReport.dotx:WofCompressedData|>word\media\image5.png

C:\Program_Files_(x86)\Microsoft_Office\root\Templates\1033\StudentReport.dotx:WofCompressedData|>word\glossary\footer3.xml

C:\Porgram_Files_(x86)\Microsoft_Office\root\Templates\1033\Training.potx:WofCompressedData|>ppt\slides\slide2.xml

All of the aforementioned paths include "Error 42125 (ZIP archive is corrupted.)"

I truly appreciate the help.  Please, and thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Corrupted ZIP Archives
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
Yes it has been mentioned, but there is no need to be concerned.

Corrupted Archive file, this could simply mean that avast is unable to unpack it to scan the contents of the archive and assuming it is because it is corrupt. Even if it were corrupt there is nothing that a user can do to resolve any corruption, short of replacing the file. This I wouldn't recommend (especially if this is for archives in the \System Volume Information folder, part of the system restore function) unless you are getting problems relating to that file/s outside of the avast scan.  Presumably they aren't an issue when using MS Office Templates.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication that they infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Corrupted ZIP Archives
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
but should we at all be worried about corrupted ZIP archives when doing boot-time scans?
Boot time scan is not meant to be used as a regular scanner, it is a special tool to be used if you have problem removing a detected malware. Boot time scan does not have any detection advantages