Author Topic: Window Size in Premier-Firewall-Settings is Too Big  (Read 4222 times)

Offline sadie_01

Window Size in Premier-Firewall-Settings is Too Big
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
I'm using Avast Premier with Firewall Protection as part of it. When I go to Settings to look at System Rules, and open that up, the window is longer, or taller, than my screen, and any changes I try to make won't save, because the "OK" button is now down in the bottom of my task bar. There is no scroll bar attached to it. I need to make a few changes, any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7 (I have the SP1 update for Avast).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Window Size in Premier-Firewall-Settings is Too Big
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
- Which version of Premier..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »
- Which version of Premier..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?

Thanks, I know this is basic info needed... not even going to apologize.  ;)

Avast Premier v. 19.4.2374

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32/64 bit

I only run Avast, there is no other security software installed. I got rid of the Norton that came on this machine as soon as I got it.

Let me know what else you need. Thanks.

p.s. I AM NOT A BOT. (I can't read the captcha images!)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
Post a screenshot.

PS: Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:09:14 PM »
The first screenshot cut off the bottom of my screen after I saved it. I got a second screenshot, after I dragged the taskbar over to the side of my screen, and it shows the length of this window you want to see.  I pasted these onto word doc.'s. I can't post them as photos.

I hate being such an amateur, but how can I post them on this thread?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
I hate being such an amateur, but how can I post them on this thread?
Below the box you write in, see/click  Attachments and other options

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:06 AM »
Here's the file types accepted: "Allowed file types: jpg, png, txt, log, gif"

I've got it on a word doc. I've tried to change it to .txt, but can't save the picture. I've tried to save it as other file types with no success. Can I email it to you? PM me an address?

Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:44:13 AM »
You must have captured an image to import into word ?

If so, how did you capture that, e.g. what program did you use ?
The program you used should allow you to save the screen capture in one of the accepted forum file formats, typically jpg or png, the gif files aren't a great option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 07:33:28 AM »
I took a screenshot. ctrl+fn+prtsc. It took a pic of my desktop.

I pasted it to a word doc. I couldn't paste it anywhere else. Like I said, I hate to be such an amateur.

How do I create a jpg?

Edit:  I converted it. Will post.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:03:42 AM by sadie_01 »

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
3rd try to post the screenshot.jpg.

Ok, I've converted it to a jpg. When I attach it below ( Attachments and other options), I can browse into and select the file, but when I hit "post", it doesn't. Takes me to a blank screen and won't post. Can I attach from my pics, or do I need to upload it somewhere...

Sheesh.  ;)

Edit: It took me 4 tries to post the above mssg. The post button... wouldn't.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:23:24 AM by sadie_01 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
3rd try to post the screenshot.jpg.

Ok, I've converted it to a jpg. When I attach it below ( Attachments and other options), I can browse into and select the file, but when I hit "post", it doesn't. Takes me to a blank screen and won't post. Can I attach from my pics, or do I need to upload it somewhere...

Sheesh.  ;)

Edit: It took me 4 tries to post the above mssg. The post button... wouldn't.

I'm not entirely sure what is happening, you don't say if there was any error message associated with inability to post.

There have been times when the forum software (relating to a post, compilation, etc.) it may time out and it looks like you have to start again.  But depending on browser, using the back button usually (for me) restores the compilation.  If you get the stuff you typed try using the Preview button rather than immediately using the Post, once you see the preview try the Post button.

That said I don't know why the associated attachment isn't also appearing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
I always "preview" before posting, and got a mssg saying -

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message body was left empty.

Even though I had attached the screenshot, I typed a single word, did it again, and no screenshot showed, even though I attached it. I then posted. I was taken to a blank white screen with a forum address, no other error mssg. When I looked at the address in my browser, I was taken to a "reply" screen, just as if you were getting ready to enter a response or type a new mssg.

Since I dragged my taskbar to the side of my screen, I was able to reach the "OK" button to save my changes in Firewall -Settings- System Rules. I'll keep trying to post the screenshot. The system rules window needs a scroll bar on it.

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 05:41:26 PM »
OFFS!

Error mssg: 
An Error Has Occurred!
Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

Jeeez.

Gotta go for now.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
OK, it could well be since you are trying to attach what is a complete window screenshot this could be very large, not only in physical size but the file size.

You can presumably see my screenshot that was attached, this I cropped to only show the relevant section/information.

Unless you have some screen capture or image editing software this would be more difficult just using default OS software.  There are some free image viewers/editor software that make this easier, though windows paint should be able to do this.

I use Snagit which is a paid option, because I do a lot of screen captures and editing for use in the forums, but if you haven't a great requirement, a free image viewer, like IrfanView not only views virtually all types of image file but can do rudimentary editing (cropping, etc.).

Another I use (freeware) on my win10 system is greenshot, https://get.greenshot.org.

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention the file size is 764 KB. Limit is 1024KB. I'll keep working on it.