Author Topic: Window Size in Premier-Firewall-Settings is Too Big  (Read 4224 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Window Size in Premier-Firewall-Settings is Too Big
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 02:54:35 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention the file size is 764 KB. Limit is 1024KB. I'll keep working on it.

OK, this is a pain I know and although I don't use Avast Premier, but this is the first time I have seen this reported in the forums.  Note Asyn is also using Avast Premier and presumably he isn't experiencing this issue.

Presumably this Firewall settings opens in a new window and not within or linked to the normal UI window ?
If so is there any way to actually reduce the size of the window, by dragging the top edge of the window down, but the cursor at the top edge and the cursor should change to a double arrow. sorry clutching at straws here not using Premier or the avast firewall and not seeing what you are experiencing.

The avastUI size and not just this has annoyed me for some considerable time, I think it is too big and many instances there are many blank areas.  That and the total ability to resize it to suit the user, screen size, preference, etc.

As a side not what is the size of your screen ?
I have a win7 netbook that I had a lot of hassle with avastUI size wise as it only had a 10.1", 1024X600 pixel screen.  That however is no longer in use and I don't have the latest avast version installed on it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention the file size is 764 KB. Limit is 1024KB. I'll keep working on it.

OK, this is a pain I know and although I don't use Avast Premier, but this is the first time I have seen this reported in the forums.  Note Asyn is also using Avast Premier and presumably he isn't experiencing this issue.

Presumably this Firewall settings opens in a new window and not within or linked to the normal UI window ?
If so is there any way to actually reduce the size of the window, by dragging the top edge of the window down, but the cursor at the top edge and the cursor should change to a double arrow. sorry clutching at straws here not using Premier or the avast firewall and not seeing what you are experiencing.

The avastUI size and not just this has annoyed me for some considerable time, I think it is too big and many instances there are many blank areas.  That and the total ability to resize it to suit the user, screen size, preference, etc.

As a side not what is the size of your screen ?
I have a win7 netbook that I had a lot of hassle with avastUI size wise as it only had a 10.1", 1024X600 pixel screen.  That however is no longer in use and I don't have the latest avast version installed on it.

Ok... first of all, thanks to everyone for replying and troubleshooting this problem, I really appreciate it.  :)

The settings window opens in a new window and not within the Avast window.

The first thing I did was to try to re-size this window. Yer right, the double arrows show on this window, except it won't change size. I tried to grab the top bar of the window and drag it up a little, but as soon as I let go, the window either jumps back to where it was, or the window opens full size, and when it's full size, the bottom is completely gone. The "OK" button disappears totally.

I am able to drag it around my screen, but not high enough to access the "OK" button.

I've got a 17" screen laptop, resolution is 1600 x 900.

I'm seeing that other long/wide screens come with a scroll bar attached to them, the Packet Rules box, next to the System Rules has both horizontal and vertical scroll bars. Other windows have vertical scrolls.

I recently just renewed my subscription, and changed a few settings. I just reset Avast to the default settings, so I'll try to send the screenshot again.  8)  However, when I reset it to default settings, some setting didn't change back. Interesting.

Keep asking questions... there are many things I've already tried, but am not thinking to mention.

Thanks again!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
You rebooted of course after resetting to default?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 08:33:01 PM »
You're welcome.

You aren't actually trying to drag the window round as such, when you see the double arrow when you are at the top of that window, don't try to drag it up, just keep the cursor there and left click and hold it whilst moving the mouse down. 

That should reduce the window size, this should either allow you to either:
Drag the window up, mouse pointer to the frame/border of the window, left click and move the mouse up.
Or it may well cause the creation of a scroll bar, given you have reduced the size of the window.

Something else that you can try, which was something I had to do on my old win7 10.1" screen was using the Tab key to access active elements in that window (such as the OK button).  Ensure that the window you want to work in, either the tab button could move it between active sections (buttons, etc.) or possibly it may require Alt+Tab.

There is also a hack to artificially raise the screen resolution, something (that bob3160 showed me) for next time if the above doesn't help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
You rebooted of course after resetting to default?

Of course.  ;)

Offline sadie_01

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
You're welcome.

You aren't actually trying to drag the window round as such, when you see the double arrow when you are at the top of that window, don't try to drag it up, just keep the cursor there and left click and hold it whilst moving the mouse down.  Yes, I did this - first thing I tried, not working. I  know I mentioned that I'm able to drag the window around, to let you know I could do that. What you are describing... that's what I did.

That should reduce the window size, this should either allow you to either:
Drag the window up, mouse pointer to the frame/border of the window, left click and move the mouse up.
Or it may well cause the creation of a scroll bar, given you have reduced the size of the window. Didn't work.

Something else that you can try, which was something I had to do on my old win7 10.1" screen was using the Tab key to access active elements in that window (such as the OK button).  Ensure that the window you want to work in, either the tab button could move it between active sections (buttons, etc.) or possibly it may require Alt+Tab. This worked! I tabbed, opened the first option, and used the down and left arrow keys to choose the settings, then tabbed to the "OK" button, hit enter, and it saved. Thank goodness!

There is also a hack to artificially raise the screen resolution, something (that bob3160 showed me) for next time if the above doesn't help.

See above...

Thanks a lot! I don't know why I didn't think of doing that. Probably because I'm used to using a mouse. Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:37 PM »
You're welcome,

When you are up to your backside in alligators, the last thing on your mind is draining the swamp.  There are times when having problems the old ways are often forgotten.