Author Topic: email from Avast stating closing account  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Jodi14

email from Avast stating closing account
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:52 PM »
Got this in my email today. Not sure if it is real. If it isn't real how do I report it? Thanks!

"Psst! Are you still there?    

It’s been ages since you logged into your Avast Account. If you’d like to keep it, please click below, and we’ll keep the account open for you. By doing so, you’ll also continue to receive the latest security news, safety tips, and VIP discounts on our products. If you’d rather say goodbye, no worries. Simply ignore this email, and we’ll close your account.    

KEEP MY AVAST ACCOUNT

As always, we respect your privacy. We’ve updated our privacy policy to comply with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), so your personal data is in good hands with us."

Offline sadie_01

Re: email from Avast stating closing account
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Did you open the headers on the email to see where it really came from?

If the link's not embedded, and there's an actual address, you can copy and paste it into a browser window and see where it goes, but I'd check the headers first.

I personally don't click on links in email, but that's just me.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:30:01 PM »
I've seen that.

If you wish to keep the account active, just go directly to the account and log in once in awhile.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
It is an email from Avast, a few other such topics in the forum acknowledge this.

In effect you should have done enough for that to happen, to access the forums you have to log in, that is indirectly linked the your my.avast.com account for validation.

I think that this is a very poorly worded email and giving a link in an email (if that is how you indicate your acceptance) is even worse (for a security company).

I would never click a link in an email that I couldn't determine the validity of it, there are just too many scams/phishing attempts not to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
It is an email from Avast, a few other such topics in the forum acknowledge this.

In effect you should have done enough for that to happen, to access the forums you have to log in, that is indirectly linked the your my.avast.com account for validation.

I think that this is a very poorly worded email and giving a link in an email (if that is how you indicate your acceptance) is even worse (for a security company).

I would never click a link in an email that I couldn't determine the validity of it, there are just too many scams/phishing attempts not to do this.
Totally agree. Ok to let you know it's time to sign in but, you should signing into your account or the forum.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Jodi14

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:04:05 AM »
Ok, thank you. I just thought it odd considering I just renewed my free subscription last month.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 02:00:22 AM »
You're welcome.

I would have thought if your re-registration was related to the same email of your account, then the email shouldn't really be required as you are not in the category "If you’d rather say goodbye, no worries."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline JennyWilson

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
the link in the e-mail says 404 and goes to microsoft azure lmfao i really doubt the e-mail is authentic

Offline JennyWilson

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
the link in the e-mail says 404 and goes to microsoft azure lmfao i really doubt the e-mail is authentic

The email was acknowledged by an Avast Team member as having been sent by avast.  There are many topics about this causing confusion and concern.  From many of the replies to these we avast users have said this was ill advised (such as mine in Reply #3 above).  My guess would be that the landing point of that link has been pulled.

I'm somewhat surprised that you actually clicked on a link in an email that you thought strange.  Perhaps your first port of call should have been the official avast support forum.