Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Remove sensitive documents from smartscan?

(1/5) > >>

Ludwig5:
How do i remove the option to scan for sensitive documents in the smartscan? I dont really like this since i can think myself what is sensitive and what is not in my computer.

Latest Avast version on Windows 10.

mchain:
AFAIK you can't.

What version of avast are you running?

cbino:
Through the custom installation it is possible to avoid, in the paid versions, to install the Sensitive Data Protection. The problem is that the scan is still done, the unprotected documents are identified and to get out of it you have to ignore and skip the step !!
This is just one of the drawbacks of the latest versions of Avast that are driving many users away from this glorious past antivirus! Many prefer to keep Windows Defender integrated plus, in Windows 10, in Windows Security. What are the boot times of the PC with Avast? What are the drawbacks that come out systematically after each release of new versions?
In reality the scanning of Sensitive Documents, and the relative protection, has the consequence that anyone who sits in front of the computer can access it very easily. He doesn't have to go looking for them among the multiple folders on the computer, but he can access them simply by opening the related antivirus interface !!
To protect sensitive documents there are other ways and among them also the use of passwords.
I am among those who have decided, with regret, to abandon Avast. For some time now it has been difficult to make a slim and performing antivirus available to users, as I believe should be a good antivirus.
Good job everyone !

DavidR:
Personally I rarely run on-demand scans, Smart or otherwise. 

With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

Generally I only run them as a result of questions in the forums, to capture info/images.

Whilst the Smart Scan is different as it also scans for non virus/malware related issues, having run it once for those issues, why keep running it to effectively keep tell you the same thing again and again.  Often for problems that would require the purchase of one of the paid modules.

For me, if there is no way to customise what is run in the Smart (not so smart) Scan then I exercise extreme customisation, I don't run it regularly (outside of the reasons given above).

DougCuk:
It is very disappointing that Avast has not fixed this issue by now.
It has been the subject of several forum threads for over a year now.

DavidR: While Smart Scan my not suit your needs it is the "big green scan button" provided on  the opening screen of Avast and it should work correctly.   

It was reported to moderator Martin Z back in May 2018 and he said it would be fixed
see here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219119.msg1462434#msg1462434

I am an independent computer support engineer supporting mainly elderly home users - and almost all the Avast support calls I get are due to this issue. It does not inspire confidence in end-users to be told to ignore a detection warning - or not to use the "Big Green Scan" button on the Avast front page.

Many have suggested Avast have chosen not to fix this erroneous scan option as it leads to an advert for the paid for version where the Sensitive Documents module is supported. This type of misguided advertising was common on the AVG product and was one of the main reasons I jumped ship to Avast.

Please fix this issue - it just leads to customer confusion and annoyance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version