Author Topic: Remove sensitive documents from smartscan?  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Ludwig5

Remove sensitive documents from smartscan?
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:56:41 PM »
How do i remove the option to scan for sensitive documents in the smartscan? I dont really like this since i can think myself what is sensitive and what is not in my computer.

Latest Avast version on Windows 10.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:59:03 PM by Ludwig5 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Remove sensitive documents from smartscan?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
AFAIK you can't.

What version of avast are you running?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline cbino

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
Through the custom installation it is possible to avoid, in the paid versions, to install the Sensitive Data Protection. The problem is that the scan is still done, the unprotected documents are identified and to get out of it you have to ignore and skip the step !!
This is just one of the drawbacks of the latest versions of Avast that are driving many users away from this glorious past antivirus! Many prefer to keep Windows Defender integrated plus, in Windows 10, in Windows Security. What are the boot times of the PC with Avast? What are the drawbacks that come out systematically after each release of new versions?
In reality the scanning of Sensitive Documents, and the relative protection, has the consequence that anyone who sits in front of the computer can access it very easily. He doesn't have to go looking for them among the multiple folders on the computer, but he can access them simply by opening the related antivirus interface !!
To protect sensitive documents there are other ways and among them also the use of passwords.
I am among those who have decided, with regret, to abandon Avast. For some time now it has been difficult to make a slim and performing antivirus available to users, as I believe should be a good antivirus.
Good job everyone !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »
Personally I rarely run on-demand scans, Smart or otherwise. 

With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

Generally I only run them as a result of questions in the forums, to capture info/images.

Whilst the Smart Scan is different as it also scans for non virus/malware related issues, having run it once for those issues, why keep running it to effectively keep tell you the same thing again and again.  Often for problems that would require the purchase of one of the paid modules.

For me, if there is no way to customise what is run in the Smart (not so smart) Scan then I exercise extreme customisation, I don't run it regularly (outside of the reasons given above).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DougCuk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
It is very disappointing that Avast has not fixed this issue by now.
It has been the subject of several forum threads for over a year now.

DavidR: While Smart Scan my not suit your needs it is the "big green scan button" provided on  the opening screen of Avast and it should work correctly.   

It was reported to moderator Martin Z back in May 2018 and he said it would be fixed
see here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219119.msg1462434#msg1462434

I am an independent computer support engineer supporting mainly elderly home users - and almost all the Avast support calls I get are due to this issue. It does not inspire confidence in end-users to be told to ignore a detection warning - or not to use the "Big Green Scan" button on the Avast front page.

Many have suggested Avast have chosen not to fix this erroneous scan option as it leads to an advert for the paid for version where the Sensitive Documents module is supported. This type of misguided advertising was common on the AVG product and was one of the main reasons I jumped ship to Avast.

Please fix this issue - it just leads to customer confusion and annoyance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:35:28 PM by DougCuk »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
This type of misguided advertising was common on the AVG product and was one of the main reasons I jumped ship to Avast.

Avast and AVG become one  >>  https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 12:53:27 PM »
+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline cbino

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »
I would appreciate so much an opinion from users, certainly more experienced than me, on what I said in the previous message and, that is, that the scanning of Sensitive Documents (the relative protection in real time is always active) has as a consequence that whoever sits in front to the computer (and wants to look around) it can be accessed very easily. It doesn't have to go looking for them among the multiple folders of the computer, but it can consult them simply opening the relative interface and clicking on the lens positioned to the right of the documents !! In short, we want to protect / hide these documents from prying eyes and instead facilitate research and consultation.
I wonder and ask, ultimately, if this feature is really useful.
I will not dwell on some other features, which are not exactly an antivirus, of which any user a bit expert could do without!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
Well, you can set a password for the UI, so only you can see what was found.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
It is very disappointing that Avast has not fixed this issue by now.
It has been the subject of several forum threads for over a year now.

DavidR: While Smart Scan my not suit your needs it is the "big green scan button" provided on  the opening screen of Avast and it should work correctly.   

It was reported to moderator Martin Z back in May 2018 and he said it would be fixed
see here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219119.msg1462434#msg1462434

I am an independent computer support engineer supporting mainly elderly home users - and almost all the Avast support calls I get are due to this issue. It does not inspire confidence in end-users to be told to ignore a detection warning - or not to use the "Big Green Scan" button on the Avast front page.

Many have suggested Avast have chosen not to fix this erroneous scan option as it leads to an advert for the paid for version where the Sensitive Documents module is supported. This type of misguided advertising was common on the AVG product and was one of the main reasons I jumped ship to Avast.

This issue I originally posted will soon be 1 year old. I will not be sending a Birthday cake.
I have given up using Smart Scan and advised others to do the same. This is a real shame as it once was a useful all-in-one quick check tool. We continue to see more users here on the forum complaining about it but nothing is done to fix it. Many of us regular users are aware of Avast in-program sales tactics, but it seem clear that many new users are confused and/or just put off by it all.

Offline cbino

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »
DougCuk  writes
“Many have suggested Avast have chosen not to fix this erroneous scan option as it leads to an advert for the paid for version where the Sensitive Documents module is supported. This type of misguided advertising was common on the AVG product and was one of the main reasons I jumped ship to Avast.”

You can install a paid version to customize it and decide you don't want the Sensitive Data form. The problem is that then the scan is still performed, exactly as if it were a free version and the hassle remains!

Asyn writes
“Well, you can set a password for the UI, so only you can see what was found”.

I knew of this possibility. Every time you want to do some operations with Avast but then you have to enter the password and, in any case, my question was: is a Module really necessary? Or can you, if you wish, resort to something different to protect personal documents?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »
Since I do not control what Avast features and content are put into the program interface, what I do not need or require, I ignore. 

Fixing the sensitive documents scan issue is entirely up to Avast.  Since that issue is still there after a year, and several threads about it have been made during that time, it is less likely it will be fixed now.  Don't run the Smart Scan.  Run other scans if you must, instead.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
You can also password protect a folder which would prevent it from being scanned.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
+1

Agreed, we would hope Avast catches this one as the time frame has been...questionable.

Offline DougCuk

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 11:54:00 PM »
The SmartScan process has been updated with new settings and a new interface.
My Avast Free shows as v19.4.2374 (build 19.4.4318.456)

The old circular progress UI has gone - now just shows a percentage completed figure.
But more importantly (so far) the "Sensitive Data" scan item has disappeared on my system.
Hopefully this update includes a permanent fix for this long standing annoyance.