Author Topic: Cant sync passwords, Confirm Password change?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Rc12

Cant sync passwords, Confirm Password change?
« on: April 18, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »
I forgot my avast account password and I reset it, but now when I try to sync the password manager it asks me to confirm the password change from another synced device (after email verification) and I don't have any other device synced. How do I confirm the password change? There is a option to sync without other device but it asks for my previous password which I don't remember. I still remember the master password used to unlock the password manager but not the avast account password. I recently format my HDD so I don't have any backup.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Cant sync passwords, Confirm Password change?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
Hi Rc12,

I'm very sorry, but I'm afraid that it will not be possible for you to access the synced passwords without being able to recall the previous Avast account password.

This is because the only synchronization method that would work in your situation requires the password change to be confirmed (restoring from a backup email - https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/92). Without having access to another synced device, there is no way to confirm the password change if you do not recall the previous password.

Once again, I am very sorry, but you cannot access the synchronized data without the previous Avast account password.

Offline Rc12

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
Can I get a account reset? so I can log in to Avast passwords again, I remember most of my passwords so you can erase them.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
Hi Rc12,

Your account is reset for you now, so you can re-start the Passwords synchronization (please refer to this synchronization guide if needed: https://support.avast.com/article/255/).

Offline BilboBaggins2019

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:06:34 AM »
Sorry to jump onto this thread but I am having exactly the same problem. I unsynced all my old devices and cant remember my previous password to resync (only my current one).

Please can you reset my account. I have my password file downloaded and saved so I presume I can re-upload it once this has been done?

Thanks for any help regarding this issue,

Bilbo  :)

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
Hi BilboBaggins2019,

Before I reset the the account, can I clarify what you mean when you say that you have your password file downloaded and saved?

If you mean that you have used the import/export data function to create a .json file, then yes, it can be re-inserted and re-uploaded once the account has been reset. If however, you are referring to another kind of password file, can you explain further what password file you have and where you downloaded it from? (As I don't want to reset the account if the file you are depending on as a backup won't work).

Offline BilboBaggins2019

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:22:31 PM »
Sorry,

I meant that I had downloaded the .json file from my avast account in preparation.

Please go ahead and rest my account.

Many thanks in advance,

Bilbo

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Hi Bilbo,

Your account/synchronization group is reset now, so you can start the Passwords synchronization again from the beginning.

Please remember to delete the .json backup file once you no longer need it, as the passwords are stored there in plain text.

Offline Matthias139

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
Good Morning,

same problem, how can i reset the account?

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 01:43:47 PM »
Hi Matthias139,

The account is reset for you now.

Offline Gabriel317

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »
Dear BWhit!..
The same problem here... I've been exchanging emails with one of your colleague and asking for the reset, but I am still getting just useless links. Please, help. Thank you!..