Author Topic: RemoteDesktop Problem  (Read 6751 times)

Specfiction

RemoteDesktop Problem
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:01:33 PM »
I'm using the Server Avast on my webserver which I maintain with Remote Desktop (Microsoft win2003 server). However, when I use the shield part of Avast I can no longer log into my server. It's as if Avast is blocking Remote Desktop on the network. I'm not using terminal server, I'm coming in over the console port over the network.

Any suggestions?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: RemoteDesktop Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 06:14:38 PM »
So, it's only the remote desktop that doesn't work?? That is, the server works, and is responsive when you come over to its physical console?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Specfiction

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:36:02 PM »
Yes, that's right. Everything else is fine--you can go in if physically connected to the console. It's clearly one of the shields, maybe the network shield that is somehow blocking me from coming in (establishing a new remote session). I haven't tried it when leaving the remote desktop session running (turns out this is microsofts perfered way of doing it).

Problem is, it's hard to experiment since leaving the sheilds on I risk not being able to get back on the server.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »
Avast should definitely not interfere with any network traffic (RDS or anything else). It's not a firewall...

I'd be more than curious to find out which of the providers is causing this, really. Honestly, I haven't seen anything like this yet; maybe it's Avast + RDS + something else already installed on the server?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

djdsk8

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »
I was having the same problem connecting to the server threw Remote Desktop.  What I had to do to fix it was openup port 3389 on both my firewall and router.  Why this is important to note is that after removing my previous anti-virus software windows decided to close the port again.  Took me three hours to figure out that something I already did had to be done again, it's worth double checking.  ;D